PDA

View Full Version : The dreaded norovirus and why it's particularly a worry for me... :-(

Kaya
24-12-11, 23:33
Hi there

I'm new here. I suffer with panic attacks mainly brought on by any form of illness, especially illness involving being sick or feelings of weakness.

Some of what i type below may trigger poeple with sickness phobia or fears about sudden illness.

I read somewhere that panic can be a part of an illness because certain illnesses activate a part of the nervous system...that's why some people feel panicky before certain serious illnesses occur.

I've got a real phobia of being sick but it has grown ten times worse after witnessing a relative die suddenly. They were not sick, but it was very traumatic. The thing is the trauma of it has latched onto the sickness phobia.

I've read that when many people die, they die in the bathroom, because the urge to use the bathroom often precedes death.

Sorry to be so negative and sorry if i am triggerring other's panic here.

The thing is i'm already afraid of being sick and i'm even more afraid of going into a bathroom if i have sickness or diarrhoea....because i think i'll collapse in there and never come out. :-( I just hate being ill, hate how it feels, the feeling that you are dying.

Tomorrow is christmas day and i've promised my mother i will visit her, but she's been complaining of diarrhoea all week and feelings of weakness. S musty have been bad. She has someone staying with her who has not got ill............but i still think it's norovirus.

I am expected to visit now. I am thinking of saying i will come and drop presents off, walk the dog for her (gets me out of the building) and then sit with them for a while and then leave. I could tell them i don't wish to eat there, she's knows I have anxiety issues about sickness so she won't take it personally.

I won't get over the fear this way - but i am beginning to doubt i will ever get over this. I know the treatment is to face the feaer and eat dinner there, but as soon as i get ill any 'work' i've done flies out of the window - as soon as i feel ill i cannot cope and am terrified and think i'm dying.

Also i hate the fact that no one seems to understand this. They don't seem to get how scared i am. I feel like shouting at everyone - if you have a bug i need to know, I don't want to catch it. I MEAN this i'm not just saying it for effect!

It's beginning to make me really anti-social.

Today i went past a market stall and there was a strong smell as if someone had been sick. I was really angry!!!! I was so cross that people keep going about being sick everywhere, just because they are not scared of it. I've also read that you can catch norovirus from the smell if you breathe in enough particles.

Later i went back near the stall, from a safe distance it was clear that they'd washed down the ground there. Right next to it was a woman selling pies, unwrapped. They would have been exposed to any contaminated breeze. People were buying them, hate the fact that they could all get ill in 12-48 hours. I too don't want to get ill.

Ok i won't go on - but does anyone else relate to that feeling that people just don't take you seriously - that if you say you don't want to get ill and will do anything to avoid it - you blinking well mean it.

thanks for listening to me - hope you all have a good christmas.

---------- Post added at 23:33 ---------- Previous post was at 23:22 ----------

by the way as i'm new i'm sorry to sound so moody - i'm not really like this, just have got so lately - it seems everywhere i turn there are threats. I've got all the symptoms of PTSD also from the traumatic event i mentioned and have finally got some counselling set up.

I would just like to relax and not feel under threat all the time, i'm sure people get more 'bugs' now than they ever used to.

william wallace
24-12-11, 23:50
Happy Christmas and :welcome:You'll have a hard job shocking anyone here darlin:hugs:

Kaya
18-05-12, 17:47
Thanks William Wallace!! :-)

Anyone else have anything to add?