PDA

View Full Version : Anyone reading anything good?

Poke
25-12-11, 04:06
I recently finished Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption by Laura Hillenbrand. The book was phenomenal. It's the true story of Louis Zamperini and mostly about his life up to and during his stint in a Japanese POW camp. The book was truly inspirational and just fantastic. I can't recommend it enough.

Have any of you all read anything good lately?

robinbrum
25-12-11, 09:44
New Year's resolution: read more books, spend less time on the internet.
Thought your post on drugs was great by the way. Spent Christmas 2005 in hospital following an accidental overdose of amphetamines. Since then have steered well clear of drugs.
Happy Christmas.

brambles
26-12-11, 00:20
It's the true story of Louis Zamperini and mostly about his life up to and during his stint in a Japanese POW camp.

My favourite book is Surviving The Sword: Prisoners of the Japanese. It's incredibly moving reading the true accounts of terrible acts of inhumanity, especially as my grandfather was a POW for almost four years. He never really talked about his experiences after the war, but his family did keep his letters and telegrams, as well as a small lump of copper ore he mined while working as slave labour in Kyoto.

I'm currently reading The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. I only started it today but it's good so far.

Poke
30-12-11, 03:19
Happy Christmas to you guys, too. (A bit late, but oh well)

I find myself reading a lot more with my Kindle than I did before. Something about it just reminds me and says, "Oh yeah. Books."

I've heard The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo is great. I am interested in reading it someday.

Tish
30-12-11, 05:45
Someone in the Mail said that everyone should be made to read a book called 'Bury my heart at wounded knee' by Dee Brown. It's a history of American Indians and guaranteed to make you cry. For that reason, I won't be reading it, I'm far too sensitive to read of man's inhumanity to man (I can't even watch Eastenders, lol!).

Magic
30-12-11, 15:16
Not reading at the moment cannot concentrate. The last book I read was "Marnie"
finished it before xmas. I know it's a film but not much like the book. I found it in a charity shop and I just had to buy it because I have someone in my family with that name.
I usally read autobiographys, have read a lot. The best ones that stick out are Sydney Potiers and Kirk Douglas ex.All the old film stars I have read about.
The Road to Tara." Gone with the Wind "my favourite.which also is not as the film was.
I have had to part with a lot of my books because they were taking to much space up. I have " Birdsong" left on my shelf though. For those who have not read this book please do-- if you have a strong stomach.
could go on talking about books forever.
I think it is because we had no electricity in our house until I was 18 and we had the old gas mantles. That is why my eyesight is bad. ahhh!
I will try to get "Unbroken" from the Library.Thanks Poke.
HAPPY NEW YEAR TO EVERYONE
LOTS LOVExx

snowgoose
30-12-11, 16:42
Birdsong is one of my favourites also Magic :hugs:
going to Amazon now to look others .thank you xx

For dog lovers I wholly recommend The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein .
It isnt all about car racing ....just a metaphor for life and the dog narrates the story . not as sweet as Marley and me .....YOU WILL CRY !!! ........but very uplifting folks . xxx

brambles
05-01-12, 02:27
I've read the Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, it's sequal The Girl Who Played With Fire and have now almost finished the last instalment in the trilogy.

Personally, I think they're well written, though are quite dark as they deal with sadism, rape, murder and corruption. Fitting then that the Swedish name translates to "Men Who Hate Women"

Littlehelper123
05-01-12, 09:51
I know this is a bit kiddie but Diary Of A Wimpy Kid series is really funny =) it'll cheer you up in know time if you're feeling low x

Poke
06-01-12, 03:38
Sometimes the kiddy books are what hit the spot, oddly enough.

virgo199060
22-01-12, 04:03
I'm reading the undomestic goddess by Sophie Kinsella atm! I've read it so many times but I love it so much, I always have to pick it up again!

venusbluejeans
22-01-12, 14:10
I love 'The curious incident of the dog in the night time by Mark Haddon' brilliant book, read it many times now.

Here's a murder mystery story, told by someone with a different view of life.
Christopher Boone finds his neighbour's dog murdered. It is lying on the front lawn skewered through the heart by a garden fork, and that is a mystery to Christopher which needs to be solved. But Christopher has Asperger's Syndrome. That's a form of autism and it means that he doesn't understand or relate to other people the way most of us do. If he did relate to others better, he might have been able to guess who hated Mrs Shears enough to kill her dog.
As it happens, Christopher can't guess, and so he embarks on a quest to solve the murder mystery, just like his favourite detective character, Sherlock Holmes. For a boy like Christopher, so often confused by other people, this is a daunting undertaking:

ElizabethJane
22-01-12, 15:20
I have just started 'Birdsong' which is also on television tonight by Sebastian Faulks. I have downloaded it onto my kindle. It is about a love story and tells this through the First World War. EJ

snowgoose
22-01-12, 15:35
Hi Venus and EJ
Agree with you wholeheartedly ..........wonderful books .
xxx

Magic
22-01-12, 16:39
Hi Everyone,
I am looking forward to the TV adaptation of Birdsong tonight.(first episode)
I hope it is as good as the book
Love to allxx

munkeyinblack
23-01-12, 00:49
Just finished the help amazing book - the film has just come out at the cinema but the book is well worth a read

Poke
04-02-12, 17:02
Ohhh this topic turned into a goldmine since last I checked. :p I bought American Gods: Tenth Anniversary Edition when it was on sale at the Amazon store a few weeks ago. I've already read American Gods but it's one of my favorites and couldn't pass up on owning it on a digital format.

evil monkey
09-02-12, 01:31
At the moment the man in the white suit, the ex stigs book. also like stuff by ben elton, just finished a book of his i started 3 years ago but stopped reading. I sort of only like reading when I also have other things to enjoy doing as well, so I haven't done a lot of it recently. Been thinking about the discworlds as well.

saro
09-02-12, 14:25
Im reading Patricia Cornwell - The Risk.. pretty good so far! I have a huge collection of her books :)

brambles
09-02-12, 15:20
I'm onto a book about the Borgias - one of the most powerful, corrupt and murderous families in Italy during the Renaissance, who just so happened to occupy the papal residences!

swanlinnet
10-02-12, 03:14
Brambles, Have heard all about this family !!!!!! It's fascinating.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think they bribed and intimidated their way into getting a Papacey ?

I think I read this somewhere and how, once they were finally ousted, they had all of their ungainly spoils confiscated.

Goodness always does win out in the end:)

At the moment I am reading Descartes' First principles:)

Have a good day, Vince:)