PDA

View Full Version : MRSA fear - ADVICE NEEDED before i go mad :(

chl_hobbs
25-12-11, 15:14
Well im back from a week in hospital (pains AGAIN after my surgery) and after getting the all clear, was just starting to feel a bit calmer, when on the day i was due to go home i hear the nurse say to the physiotherapist the lady in the bed next to mine was mrsa positive and had to be isolated. Well immediately i panicked. Me and another girl on the ward had been in close contact with the lady in question all week - as she was old and often needed a hand. When i voiced my worries to the nurse she just said 'dont worry, it's very unlikely youll get it too, unless youve touched her etc" WELL I HAD!!!! She had held my hand (when i helped her walk) and i often would help her open things for her when the nurses werent around.

I insisted on getting swabbed for mrsa before i left, but they said the results wont be there until wed/thur(xmas hols) so to ring back then!
Im going mad here - i keep thinking i have it and that now im going to get pneumonia and die! What are the symptoms? How likely is it that i have it?

Does anyone have any advice/help??????
Help - please :(

Charlotte

snowgoose
25-12-11, 16:02
Hi Charlotte :)
Dont worry too much please ....you will not get pneumonia and you certainly will not die my love .....honest .

It is not nice that mrsa is so prevalent in our hospitals ....and yes there is a risk yes .....a small one ..............but very easily treated with antiseptics that will be prescribed .....to put in bath and wash your skin with ..etc ........not going to go on here ...but non intrusive methods to get rid of the bug .
The fact is loads of the general population have it in the community with no sign .
It is only dangerous to people who are very ill indeed ..the very old or very young .those who have had major surgery or in intensive care etc.
the media scare us witless by inappropriate reporting :mad:

So if the swabs come back with it ..........easily treated .nothing nasty .
Chances are that you will be fine Charlotte . :hugs:
dont worry please ........enjoy the rest of the day and know you are honestly ok ....xx