PDA

View Full Version : Cold Turkey: Almost went back on them!

Lion King
26-12-11, 12:23
I think I'm on my 5th or 6th week cold turkey, I started to feel the tension creeping up again with headaches on Friday, but as the weekend progressed I started to feel better. I must admit I felt I had made a terrible mistake and I was going to start taking medication again.

I rode it out and when Saturday arrived I felt like the tension had been lifted. I think the stress started when I had a review with my manager on Friday, I've only been full time 2 months and I thought this was a bit quick for a review, so obviously I made more of the situation, possibly thinking I was going to get finished. I haven't performed my best cos I have little or no direction, this I raised in the meeting in a subtle manner, the manager realised that he needed to start showing me how the operation functioned so that I could get involved. I'm sure I will be fine, I went into the job really positive when I started and that seemed to drain out of me when I was getting alot of negativity, but the negativity was only bourne out my own mind, I must admit in this short period of time home life has been very unstable so the pressures from home were creeping in.

I think I need focus outside of work, my mind wanders when I'm not occupying it, my home life I realise I have to work at, I need focus on what makes me happy, I think I need to ride the rollercoaster of CHILLOUT!!!!!

Merry Xmas to everyone!

LK :D

---------- Post added at 12:23 ---------- Previous post was at 12:14 ----------

Has anybody done cold turkey and come out ok?

If so, when did you start to feel like you had lost attchment to Citalopram, in other words "Normal"?

LK

Greenman50
26-12-11, 22:17
To be honest i,m not sure why anyone would want to go "cold turkey" instead of a slow reduction unless the meds were causeing a sudden problem , possibly why you have had no replies .

Hope you continue to improve , it sounds like it is working for you .:)

nicola1980
27-12-11, 07:31
Hi i tapered off cit far to quickly in may/june time this year as i felt so good but come september i hit rock bottom again with anxiety and panic attacks so ive had to start it again, u should taper off cit very slowly like 5mg at a time when you are fully recovered otherwise its highly likely you will have a relapse xx

Lion King
27-12-11, 07:35
Thanks Mel2,

It is an extreme way of doing this, but the only reason I have gone cold turkey is that I find it too easy when I feel stressed to go back on Citalopram. I feel pretty good, had my up and downs but I think focus away from medication is required and basically concentrate on what causes the stress is required.

My biggest issue is overthinking situations, so this is my starting point I think to tackle this.

Many Thanks

LK

hungrycaterpillar
27-12-11, 08:23
Hi i tapered off cit far to quickly in may/june time this year as i felt so good but come september i hit rock bottom again with anxiety and panic attacks so ive had to start it again, u should taper off cit very slowly like 5mg at a time when you are fully recovered otherwise its highly likely you will have a relapse xx

This has just happened to me... I tapered and stopped too quickly around Sept/Oct and now I am an anxious mess, unable to work and kinda ruined Xmas for me!

I had been taking Cit for years... Now I'm back on them I think I will just have to take them forever.

pinkdove
27-12-11, 12:13
Same here, had a major relapse, but well done lionking for having the strength to do this, just remember, it takes time to get better, and i wish you all the very best x

Greenman50
28-12-11, 02:19
Thanks Mel2,

It is an extreme way of doing this, but the only reason I have gone cold turkey is that I find it too easy when I feel stressed to go back on Citalopram. I feel pretty good, had my up and downs but I think focus away from medication is required and basically concentrate on what causes the stress is required.

My biggest issue is overthinking situations, so this is my starting point I think to tackle this.

Many Thanks

LK

Hi Mate

Sorry if my first reply looked like i was being a "know all " ...i,ve re read it it wasn,t as polite as i intended (i,m not very good with words ).

The best of luck my friend , i,m sure you will get there you have a very positive attitude which is half the battle :)

Lion King
28-12-11, 14:01
Hi Mel2,

Thanks for the tune, I couldn't open the second link, it had been discontinued.

Had a night of thinking of old memories, stuff that used to make me happy. One thing was being loved and playing a part in a relationship where we valued each other above everything else, I said to my wife the previous night that I've always loved her but we had lost our way. We have both suffered anxiety and depression and we have become more focused inwardly and forgot the emotional/loving side to being together. I think me and the missis need some quality time together.

Feel pretty good today, I have cold (man flu) so that is trying to hold me back. I think I could do with visiting the doctor and get some advice, I don't want to crash & burn especially in a new job, I think 20mg (previous 40) may be the answer.

I am always assessing social situations, if people show any kind of negativity I take it personal, but the problem I have is that I need to address this inferiority issue I have, the thinking that I am less than everybody so I slip into the old defense mechanism and stop talking to these people. I keep saying to myself that it is only me that makes myself feel inferior (stems from childhood:middle child syndrome I think its called!), it only happens if you allow it. I need address being positive (not fake/false) around people, don't talk about negative crap (mainly at work!) and switch my attention elsewhere. I think the new year I am going to get stuck in with a few hobbies and enjoy myself, rather than holding back all the time.

Thanks for everybody's advice, I really appreciate it!

LK:D

Lion King
29-12-11, 21:04
Gone back on medication, just 20mg (citalopram). Didn't feel rubbish just concerned that I might relapse.

Forget cold turkey, anxiety does make you act rash!