PDA

View Full Version : MEDS AND ALCOHOL

april tones
26-04-04, 22:31
ARE YOU SUPPOSE TO DRINK ALCOHOL ON ANTI DEPRESSANTS? IM CONFUSED. i DONT BUT A FEW PEOPLE DO. mY DAD IS ON PROPANYL AND DRINKS LOADS ON THEM?? A FRIEND IS ON FLUXOTENE AND HAS A FEW?? JUST OUT OF CURIOSITY, THANKS

apriltones

sarah
27-04-04, 00:34
Hiya April

The Sedative effects of Tri-cyclics are enhanced
There are hypertensive indications with MAOI's
and Alcohol can enhance the effects of SSRI's

I dont drink anymore (im on Cipramil- an SSRI) but thats because I cant handle the effects anymore ..not because im on medication. Many people do still do drink on them but I think anything in moderstion is fine so long as you dont feel ill efeects from it.

is that any help???

love Sarah
xx

we arent mad, just the next stage of evolution :)

twister
27-04-04, 21:13
It is okay to drink on SSRI's from an interaction point of view, unless it specifies you can't on the leaflet.

In fact I managed 3 beers, 2 glasses of champagne, 5 wines and a vodka on Saturday![}:)][}:)]

Emily

stimpy
29-04-04, 09:31
Some types of Antidepressants make you especially susceptible to the intoxicating effects of alcohol. (gets you drunk quicker, makes you moody etc.)

It will usually tell you on the packet whether or not to avoid alcohol.

Love, light and Best wishes
Liz xxx
With hard work and determination and all the things you know.
The world is there for you to take. There's nowhere you can't go.

[:p]Scatty Eccentric & 'Poet Laureate to panic and anxiety'

april tones
30-04-04, 20:59
thanks all for answers. What group is propanyl? and also mine, effexor? sorry emily you told me this one before, thanks all. I dont miss alcohol that much as i went 9 months without it 6 months ago during pregnancy but it would still be nice. I would rather get better though as i am already. love april

apriltones

jay
30-04-04, 21:02
i personally dont drink while on anti depressents, cause it scares me to do it
but just one occasionally wont hurt i guess

april tones
30-04-04, 21:32
cheers jay, i agree, id be panicking too. I have put a message after one of your posts earlier. How are you feeling?

apriltones

Meg
30-04-04, 23:09
Propanolol is a beta blocker
Effexor is Venlaflaxine a SNRI - seratonin and noradrenaline Reuptake Inhibitor

Meg

'There can only be true courage when first there is genuine fear'

Dr.David Livingstone

HB
10-05-04, 19:32
I am on citalopram and whenever i have even one drink i begin to feel so ill! and considering my phobia is actually of being sick i dont risk it.

H

twister
11-05-04, 12:49
Hi H

I think that is more psychological than physical - there is no interaction between SSRI's and alcohol that would make you sick.

Emily

HB
12-05-04, 16:11
thanks for that but, how come it says on the packet not to drink alcohol? could it damage me?
H xx

H

sarah
12-05-04, 18:04
hiya H

No alcohol wont damage you..its just a precaution they put on the packets as alcohol can increase the effects of these drugs...eg if they make you sleepy they will make you more sleepy etc

love Sarah
xx

we arent mad, just the next stage of evolution :)

HB
15-05-04, 11:41
oh ok i see. Went to my prom last night, drank rather a lot (to see if i could handle the effects) and because i wasnt thinking about panicking i was fine! thanks for the advice :-) H x

H

kd
16-05-04, 23:49
I'm not so sure that i will continue to drink on 'effexor'... the day after drinking i felt awful beyond beleif. I think it might also have been my tablet reacting to an empty stomach. I threw up loads, and it public which was really humiliating but my stomach was desperate to get the pison out of its system.

Thinking of giving up, or seriously cutting down. Do not want that to happen again!

twister
17-05-04, 14:28
maybe you just drank too much! The meds do not interact - they would have done zillions of tests to check this.

Emily

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit
Understanding is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad

eelizaa_66
02-08-04, 23:32
Hi everyone!

I'm a new member and i have been having panic attacks for at least 4 years now. I've been on zoloft for about three of these years. Zoloft worked so well for me that i didn't have a panic attack for about 2 years. I was sooo happy and relaxed that i was brave enough to start drinking alcohol occasionally. Occasionally turned into about 3 times a week. So now, a year later i drink probably 3-4 times a week and just in the last few months my panic attacks have came back with a vengence. Grrrr. I don't know if it's the alcohol or just that I've built up a tolerance to my medications (i take xanax occasionally too).

Has anyone experienced this? I would love any imput. I WANT TO BE NORMAL AGAIN!:(

Thank you,

Debbie

Meg
04-08-04, 18:19
Have you cut out the alcohol to see if they subside again ?

What have you done whilst on your mood altering drugs to deal with the issues you had, that caused the panic attacks originally ? If these are not dealt with - sooner or later the panics will return .
Zoloft will mask symptoms not cure the underlying issues.

tara
08-08-04, 22:37
I was taking effexor and propanonol and had a little drink last chirstmas, omg, it made me feel awful but saying that i hadn't had a drink for nearly a year before that so that was a contributing factor, but I don't drink while taking meds and i haven't drunk for so long i can't remember what its like LOL, I just feel that I will let the meds do their job without interfearing with them.

jo-jo
11-08-04, 10:34
Hi everyone

Don't why I haven't spotted this post before - such an intersting subject :D

In the height of my panic attacks I couldn't drink at all as I hated feeling any changes in my body whatsoever. I'm now on Fluoxetine (Prozac) and have gradually built back up my drinking stamina - to no ill effect I'm pleased to say! I can't drink anywhere near what I used to and 3 glasses of wine has me really quite tipsy, but I'm sure whether that due to the meds or being seriously out of practice.

Lots of love Jo xx

suzz999
09-11-09, 16:47
I have just had a dreadful experience with alcohol and venlaflaxine. Went out with some friends, had a few drinks, then turned into the woman from hell. Was out of control, felt I was watching myself, said all sorts of awful things I would not normally say. Ended the evening for everyone very quickly. Went to bed and felt dreadful for three days. My partner was very shocked by what happened. Has anyone else had this?

jo61
13-11-09, 10:33
It is okay to drink on SSRI's from an interaction point of view, unless it specifies you can't on the leaflet.

In fact I managed 3 beers, 2 glasses of champagne, 5 wines and a vodka on Saturday![}:)][}:)]

Emily

What time did you get up at on Monday?!!:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao: