PDA

View Full Version : cant drive on my own anymore

nutty123
27-12-11, 21:15
Hi everyone, im new to hear but just wondering if anyone has experienced the same that im going through at the moment.

Ive had panic attacks off and on for over 20 years but the last 8 months have been terrible for me. I cannot stay on my own in the house or drive my car on my own as i am terrified i may have a huge panic attack. This is causing me major issues at the moment as my world seems to be closing in on me. I have been seeing a CBT therapist who basically says ive got to face my fear but i cant seem to put myself through it!

Has anyone had this problem and got over it?

Any comments welcome

nomorepanic
27-12-11, 21:17
Hi nutty123

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

Katypotatie
27-12-11, 21:57
Hello

I'm also new and have been having a similar problem with driving on the motorway recently - it's making getting to work really difficult.

I've been trying just to do a little bit each day - I tell myself just one junction and then do another if I'm OK.

I've also used a nervous driving self-hypnotherapy CD - it's helped a bit and has given me something else to think about.

Some days are better than others - I'd like to get back to how it used to be when I didn't even give it a second thought.

Hopefully there will be people along soon to give us some good tips.

Just wanted to say you're not alone and send some ((((hugs))))

KTx

robinbrum
28-12-11, 08:57
Is the anxiety you feel related to driving and the fear of crashing or is it that you're worrying about something else? I have a similar problem but it's only related specifically to parking, especially if someone is watching me - I completely bottle the manoeuvre and move on, sometimes driving around in a circle for up to twenty minutes trying to find somewhere to park. It sounds comical but I get seriously stressed about it, I am consumed by frustration and anger and break out in a sweat.
You have my sympathy and I hope it gets better for you.

ElizabethJane
28-12-11, 10:21
I have had more driving lessons with an instructor who was sympathetic to my problems. I can drive on my own but I do not go on the motorways. I suggest that you make short journeys first and 'allow' yourself to stop (safely) if you need to. Chewing gum is good as a distraction and so is having the radio on. I have had CBT but it wasn't a great success for me. Getting back in that car is the best therapy. EJ.

12ema
28-12-11, 13:54
Just to let you know you are not alone.. i have exactly the same fears as you appart from i havent learnt to drive because i dont think id be able to cope driving on my own and cant stay on my own and its all because of the fear of having a panic attack. I really would like to know how to get over this fear of having a panic attack because as you will know it takes over your life x x