PDA

View Full Version : advice please

limbo
07-06-06, 14:37
Hi all
I wonder if you can help, a close family member as a lot of problems - been agorophobic for years, social phobia, zero confidence, paranoia. They know they have a problem but wont let anyone "do" anything to help because they dont want people thinking they are mentally ill.
How do u get a phychologist to come to the house etc. Its like going around in circles
advice welcomed
thanks limbo

Alexandra
07-06-06, 14:46
Hi Limbo

Im agoraphobic too there are a few of us on here.

Can you not get them a home visit from the doctor who could give them as well as yourself more imformation & help for them.

Take Care

Alex

Many People Will Walk
In & Out Of Your Life
But Only True Friends
Will Leave Footprints
In Your Heart

Grad
07-06-06, 14:50
Hello,

I'm not sure psychologists do home visits. I think the best person to speak to would be the family members GP. Theres a new mental health team called assertive outreach who specifically try to engage people who are reluctant to do so, but i'm not sure of their criteria and I think its up to their GP to refer them there and whether theres one in your area yet. Also it might be worth trying to reduce the stigma of mental health and mental illness, etc to your family member, through reading materials etc about mental health problems and useful stats (e.g. 1 in 4 people will suffer a mental health problem in their life) to try and normalise it.

Hope this was a little useful and good luck x