PDA

View Full Version : Could use some reassurance

beth0277
28-12-11, 14:11
I could use some reassurance. My family assures me that everything is okay, but it always helps to hear other peoples opinions.

Before I was pregnant with my son, I had maybe 3 or 4 UTI's in my life. They were painful and I always knew I had them and had to treat them with antibiotics. During my pregnancy, I didn't have any (got urine tests twice a week at my appointments). 2 weeks after having my son, I started to get bad with anxiety so I started Zoloft. Within a few days, I couldn't feel my bladder at all. I couldn't pee whatsoever. I would wake up in the morning and it would be 3:00 before I would realize I hadn't pee'd. I had to be cath'd 3 days in a row because I could not release my urine. The doctor blamed it on my c-section, but I had been fine before that. I also was told I had a UTI but I didn't feel anything. I thought it was maybe the Zoloft so I stopped it and everything turned around. I was convinced it was just the Zoloft causing my urine problems, as I have read that SSRI's can cause them at times.

So, I started Lexapro and didn't have the same problem. Then I switched to Paxil and finally to Prozac. My bladder felt normal, so I thought I was in the clear. However, during this time, I would go to the doctor for other things and kept being told I had UTI's. I never had any symptoms. Finally, I was referred to a Urologist who told me that I was holding some urine in my bladder after peeing (Normal amt is under 50 cc's and mine was about 118). They said this is a breeding ground for bacteria so that was probably why I kept getting UTI's. I remembered the problem Zoloft gave me so I decided to go off my Prozac to see if that would help. The next 4 scans showed I was no longer retaining urine and I also have not had a UTI since. The Urologist's office has pretty much released me from care, but I keep going back to get scans because I am nervous.

For some reason I just can't accept that. Urine retention can be a side effect of SSRI's, but it is fairly rare. I am so concerned that there is something more going on.