PDA

View Full Version : Propranolol

iluvstaffies1
28-12-11, 16:00
I was just wondering if I can take this as and when I need it or if it has to be taken regularly?

I am having really bad anxiety again today and my heart is racing and I cant stop trembling.

I have some Diazepam 2 mg but I know these can cause anxiety in the long run. Can I just take a Propranolol. Am at my wits end

miss polly
28-12-11, 18:05
My doc gave me propranolol to take as needed. It's a lifeline and since I've got it I haven't needed to use it much. Just the knowledge that it's there if needed seems to have calmed me down. It really does work for those trembly heart racing symptoms.

iluvstaffies1
28-12-11, 18:35
Ok, its just my gp said to take it 3 times a day but I havent taken any yet as was just thinking it might be better if I could just take it as and when. Do you think I could take one now?

Thanks for your help

Oh, I just read the packet that I have and the printed label says take one tablet three times per day and do not stop taking this medication, only on doctor's advice. Great. Scared to take them now

miss polly
29-12-11, 11:31
You don't have to be scared honestly! The reason it says that is if you are taking the full dose 3x a day ~ then it's best to taper off slowly when you want to stop taking them. The odd tablet as and when you need it is fine. I had this confirmed by my doctor.

iluvstaffies1
29-12-11, 11:38
Thank you so much for that. I didn't realise that.

I feel a lot better now I know I can just take one when I needed.

miss polly
29-12-11, 11:50
I'm sure it will help you ~ they certainly help me. I haven't had to take one for weeks now. Just knowing they're there if needed seems to have calmed me right down.