PDA

View Full Version : Does any one else get panicy hours before they have to go out?

katie23
28-12-11, 16:00
Hey I have to go out for a meal with my OH's faimly tonight and all day I have felt that panicky breathlessness you get where you feel like you need to breathe in and out loads and really quick..

And I just feel really dizzy and tired! I think im nervous about going because I just started Prozac and I keep getting hot flushes and the shakes and they drag everything out...

hatebeingill
28-12-11, 16:08
i have the same xxxx

zombie
28-12-11, 16:36
Unfortunately I've been like that for years.. :wacko:

I'm starting a job mid January, having been out of work for almost 2 years and I'm starting to get anxious over it even now. The lightheadness and becoming tired quickly have always gone hand in hand with me being anxious.

.Poppy.
28-12-11, 16:55
It really depends on the situation for me. Sometimes I do, more often I'll start getting really anxious and start to feel sick while I'm out with my friends - not usually (though sometimes) when I'm just out to dinner unless it's a new circumstance, like a new town - which happened to me while visiting friends who were in different towns for college. I usually get it when I'm at a party, or when I've had parties in the past at my house. I always think I'm getting 'overexcited' as I cannot fathom why being with my friends would make me so anxious.

@Zombie - I sympathize. Whenever something new and big like that comes up for me, I'm always worrying so far in a advance I can't really even enjoy myself.

zombie
28-12-11, 17:31
@Zombie - I sympathize. Whenever something new and big like that comes up for me, I'm always worrying so far in a advance I can't really even enjoy myself.

Thank you..:)

I really, really want this little job, I'm looking forwards more to it than anything in the past 10 years or so. I'm hoping me being excited about it will offset the anxiety. fingers crossed..

TheGoldenTomato
28-12-11, 17:56
Yep I have this. :( It's anticipation anxiety.

Jaco45er
28-12-11, 22:40
Correct, anticipation anxiety is exactly what it is.

It's the difference between thinking in the "here & now" as opposed to "the future" or future event.

How many times have you feared the future event, then came through the otherside and wondered why you was so anxious?

Have a read of some Claire Weekes books, she explains it perfectly and offers some great advice.

And good luck with the job Zombie :)

TC

Jaco

zombie
29-12-11, 08:44
Thanks for the encouragement...:)

I've heard so many people mention "Claire Weekes" I've had a little google and just ordered "Essential Help for Your Nerves" from Amazon, so I'll sit down and have a little read.

I've heard it being called allowing your mind to "time travel" either forwards anticipating all the possible "what-ifs" and trying to plan for them, which is all but impossible and exhausting. (my main problem) and also travelling to the past when you've been panicky and associating those feelings with a future event. Both ways are destructive ways of thinking and I'm just starting to get my head round trying to have "Constructive" thoughts. But when you've been thinking in a certain way for years and years it's a very difficult pattern to break. I am trying, but it's certainly easier said than done. Catching a thought popping into your head is the easy part, it's the physical symptoms I struggle with, that sometimes appear to precede the thoughts. For me that's running to the loo (lots) palpitations and basically feeling lightheaded and wooly.

lifeofbrian
29-12-11, 09:04
I wish it was hours, its days for me. It starts with physical symptoms and then i realise why my body is shaking, it even happens if i am going to a family members house.

zombie
29-12-11, 09:08
I wish it was hours, its days for me. It starts with physical symptoms and then i realise why my body is shaking, it even happens if i am going to a family members house.

+1..

It's days/weeks for me too..

AnxiousPhil
29-12-11, 09:21
Yes! Yes! I've been having this for many years. I never knew so many people were the same.

I often take Propanolol 10mg x 2 about 2 and a half hours before I go out. I then carry out dull tasks around the house such as hoovering, tidy up the room, sort out the dvds etc to pass the time and try to forget about the anxiety before I leave. I also get a bit of happiness when I come back as the house is really tidy :yesyes:

Good luck with it all!

Littlehelper123
29-12-11, 15:47
Ob yes!!! Lol. Most of the time its anxiety as opposed to panicky. I can feel myself winding myself up so i distract myself amd say 'im going whether i panc or not!' and the feeling afterwards is amazingggggg :) freat sense of achievement

X