PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety / Depression - Been off my meds and suffering a lot

AnxiousPhil
29-12-11, 09:16
I guess from the top:

1) Long term anxiety: treated with propanolol.

2) Breakdown of my home, lost partner, etc

3) Mother died rapidly from cancer, my being her carer

4) Doctor put me on more propanolol and citalopran

5) After a rough start everything improved and I was really seeing light at the end of the tunnel.

6) I threw myself into exercise and travel and started my 'trip of a life time'

7) I was so happy I forgot to take my citalopram for 4 days.

8) Now I feel worse than ever, even worse than the initial period of starting the citalopram. Head aches, cant sleep (which makes me miss my exercise classes), trouble eating at the right times (i.e Im hungry at midnight or 2am rather than dinner time). I just feel wrong in so many ways.

9) Im currently in thailand and have just been to the doctor. He advised I should go to the chemist and buy some 'diazapam'. I should take 10mg tablets as and when required until the citalopram side effects go away and im back to my usual self. he said he thought this time period would be 1 week

10) I am a bit worried about taking 3 different drugs. I think ive had so many propanolols in my life they are now similar to placebo and dont really help me anymore.

If I take diazapam for 1 week will I become addicted. The thought of this makes me even more anxious. Also should I stop the propanolol for this time?

Sorry if this post is a bit complex, just trying to get the whole story in.

Thanks a lot
Anxious Phil.

axelmct
29-12-11, 16:38
i would buy valium 5s, instead and only take 1, as and when needed, you will probably find that will work andf if it does'nt take 2

also, by the sound of it, your body clock is at the wrong time, when it is midnight in Thailand, what time is it at home?

you wont become addicted after a week

AnxiousPhil
31-12-11, 16:40
Thanks for the advise, the only ones available here are 10s. They are sold over the counter in the pharmacy.

I do believe my body clock has somewhat gone wrong. Home is 7 hours behind me at the moment.

I've been taking the 10s and they have helped some what, but make me feel a little wobbly. Hoping very soon to be back to nomal!

NoPoet
31-12-11, 19:20
You can suffer from withdrawal symptoms if you miss your dose of citalopram several days in a row (not just one day). Are you taking the cit again? I think a lot of people here have missed a few doses for various reasons, I've done it, and it takes a few days to get back to normal once you start taking the citalopram again. I think that your body clock and your general anxiety are making things seem worse than they really are, but at least you've learned to take your meds on time! :)

AnxiousPhil
03-01-12, 06:45
Thanks so much! yes ive been back on them now and the effects seem to have gone away!

The new problem I have is ive got some pretty severe pain from a boxing injury. Not sure if I am ok to take pain killers with Citalopram. I know for sure you to stay away from tramadol as they can cause seretonin syndrome.

Any ideas which ones are safe? Ive tried paracetamol but its having no effect.

Thanks again!