PDA

View Full Version : Medication review

ElizabethJane
29-12-11, 09:20
I have been told that I'll need to go into the doctors for a medication review. My meds lithium and mirtazapine have been set by my psychiatrist who I see once a year. I don't expect my meds to be changed as I sam currently stable and feeling very well. I suppose I could ask for a reduction in the mirtazapine. It is doubtful if she would change the lithium dose. Has anyone else had this. I know the doctors have to keep a check on the dosage to prevent toxicity to if the meds are no longer working. I guess as they are working there is no need to change? EJ.

macc noodle
29-12-11, 09:33
EJ it is just procedure to make sure that you are remaining healthy on the meds - I know that our docs carry out regular reviews and generally do a blood test to make sure that you are well and that there is no interaction of the meds causing any problems to your organs (although I have to admit that I do not have any knowledge of your meds and any possible interactions so am just commenting generally).

But I would not worry since your meds are set by your psych. and would not consider a reduction in the meds if you are feeling well - it is more than likely that the meds are right and therefore that is why are you feeling well - it all sounds very positive.

Good luck

Macc Noodle
x

Geoff2301
29-12-11, 11:24
I had a medicine review a couple of weeks ago......... I think they have to do them every 6 months or so. He was quite happy to leave anything the psychiatrist had prescribed without the slightest query.

ElizabethJane
29-12-11, 13:25
Thanks guys I don't think I have had one before. I expect it has been done whilst I have been in for something else. Lithium has to be carefully monitored anyway. It would be tempting to ask for a reduction in my meds. I'll leave it and see what Dr D has to say.EJ