PDA

View Full Version : milk past its date??

cuppycake
30-12-11, 05:54
I realised just now that I had some out of date milk Thursday morning, I felt ok all day and it didn't taste weird from what I can remember, and its only been since I thought of it that I started to feel sick :( Is it all in my head? It went off on the 28th and I drank it on the 29th :( will it hurt me?

eeyorelover
30-12-11, 06:17
Absolutely not!
You are fine!
That is a sell by date, not a use by date.
If it smells ok and isn't curdled then it's fine.
xxx
Sandy

Carys
30-12-11, 08:12
Actually eeyorelover, it is a 'use by date' on our fresh milk here in the UK, but I agree with your sentiment 100%

It will do you no harm at all....they leave a massive (too) safe gap between the use by date and the time the product would probably go off. If you think about it....does the milk know the time, does it know that at midnight on the night of its useby date it needs to 'turn' like some Cinderella milk story :) As said above, if it looks and smells fine, then it is.

Alabasterlyn
30-12-11, 09:13
Totally agree that just a day over the use by date is fine with milk, as it is with most foods. I always smell my milk if it's gone past it's use by date and if it smells okay then I use it. I once went out for lunch some years ago and asked for a glass of milk with my meal. I drank the whole glass in one go and it was only when I had finished the drink that I realised the milk was really, really off and tasted gross. However it didn't make me feel ill at all, so I am sure you are absolutely fine.

nomorepanic
30-12-11, 12:17
Well my partner drinks it a week after it's use by date and he is fine lol

Elen
30-12-11, 12:32
Well my partner drinks it a week after it's use by date and he is fine lol

Well "fine" as a descriptor when applied to Alex could be open to debate lol

nomorepanic
30-12-11, 13:04
Haha Elen - yeah point taken. He never checks the milk though and I don't drink tea and coffee so never look at it so it is always going out of date.

I think it would smell and taste pretty bad if it was off.

Wolfie
30-12-11, 13:42
Milk is fine to drink after the date stated on the packaging unless it smells (and trust me, you'd know if it smelled!!). The milk I buy can last up to a week after the date on the packaging. It can't hurt you, I promise.