PDA

View Full Version : Chronic shortness of breath

j2
30-12-11, 16:49
I am 40, male and not on meds and totally scared. I am having chronic shortness of breath. I seem to be able go for a jog most days at a slow pace and be OK but things like lifting even lights weights or climbing stairs seems to make me feel like I can't get enough air. I am also having one really cold hand. I am so scared that this is lung or heart related. As I am typing, I feel like I can't get enough oxygen and I feel weak and terrified. Can anyone talk some sense into me. Thanks and I am sorry for sounding so desperate.

J2

wiskersonkittens
30-12-11, 18:55
j2 - I am so sorry you are going through this. There was a time when I was under a particularly stressful event where I just couldn't breathe. I was like that for weeks! Let me ask you a few questions -- when was your last physical? Have you been under any new stress lately? How is your diet: do you consume alcohol or caffeinated drinks or foods regularly?
I think, really, it might be an anxiety symptom exaserbated by the fear of what it is presenting. If we focus on things too much, they do get worse. If we get one symptom, we cling to it and we become fearful of it and anything that we feel might have triggered that symptom for us. I don't exercise because I get light headed and I get palpitations sometimes -- I spent a month with a cardiologist and he told me I was fine, but it scares me, so I avoid it, but when I want to do it, in the back of mind I am always wondering if it will make me feel that way again and I worry myself about it and end up hyperventilating and lo and behold, I get light headed and palpitations. I hope I am making sense.
Anyway, if you can answer those questions for me, I can hopefully help in some way. I know you are afraid, but do try and take a deep breath -- inhale and count to 6, exhale and count to 6. Make sure your muscles are relaxed, and start with that and see if that helps. :)
Hugs, Wiskers ~

Ambers
30-12-11, 19:02
Have you been checked for Asthma? I asked as I was diagnose at 40 when I was short of breath and wheezing when exercising. Anxiety is likely with good advice above poster but you should rule out Asthma with your GP (if you haven't a;ready)

miss_t
30-12-11, 20:29
I feel exactly the same at the moment. I've had a heavy cold and have been left with a hacking cough. I feel like I can't take a deep enough breath, and I'm getting anxious that my airways will just close up.

I know it's unlikely, but still worried.

Trying as the above poster mentioned, inhaling for 6 and exhaling for 6.

j2
31-12-11, 05:46
Thanks for the responses. Yes I am under stress from many angles. I have 3 small kids and while I love them, they stress me out. I have a very demanding job that I don't particularly like but it pays very well so I stay there. I have many other demands on my time from kids activities to church responsibilities. I recently finished a graduate degree and I was hoping things would calm down in my life a bit but they have not. I do consume the occasional adult beverage and I do drink coffee or diet soda daily. I don't think it is asthma as I am not wheezing but it more like I can't take a breath deep enough, if that makes sense. I often feel like there is a tight band around my upper chest and once that feeling starts I can't shake it for hours sometimes. It is made worse by the fact that my right hand gets cold and pins and needles sometimes. I did have a full CBC blood test in November and all was fine. I just fear so many different things. I fear that my heart is weak or that my lungs are full of tumors or that I have circulation issues that will result in a stroke. Exercise used to be my release and my comfort zone. I would be feeling stressed and then go for a run and say to myself, "If I was dying, could I have done that" and feel better. Anyway, I hope this note finds you all well. Please respond and tell me your thoughts.

J2

ewood79
31-12-11, 06:19
Hi there,

It sure sounds like a build up of anxiety and the very fact that your scared or worried about is fueling those feelings.

To get things checked out etc is the main thing and when results are good and clear we have to keep telling ourselves that!

My doctor once said to me....... Be thee of good spirits, the mirror is only to shave In front of.... Look out into the world! Didn't help when I was anxious but makes me smile when I'm not!

wiskersonkittens
31-12-11, 14:49
J2 -- at this point, I would suggest, if at all possible to cut back on any alcoholic or caffeinated beverages or foods (like even chocolate). Those things can actually make the panic attacks worse. I would be curious to know if by doing that, it might alleviate some of your symptoms. It sounds as if you are hyperventilating -- I do that frequently under intense situations, mine being going places or just talking to someone face to face, even eating in a group. I don't know why, I just get myself worked up. I have even found myself holding my breath sometimes without even realizing it. When that happens, do try inhaling and exhaling, it's all about the way we breathe.
I have 3 kids, too, so I understand it can be stressful. Sometimes I just need a break to get myself together, to breathe, but then I am needed, so it stresses me out more. It is nothing against them, they don't understand, but I can relate. I am proud of you for completing grad school! Even good things can be stressors, too. Just give yourself time to work things out, they will.
And, if you are even in doubt, do look up www.anxietycentre.com and click on "anxiety symptoms". That is the BEST site I have found in regard to that. Even the symptoms you have been experiencing are on there. I hope it will give you reassurance.
It's just something to work through, and you will. Just knowing it isn't serious is half the battle right there. The hardest part is to convince your mind of that. All it is is your thoughts making you feel that way. That's it. Pretty incredible if you think about it. :)
Please keep me posted on how you are doing, ok? Hugs to you .. Wiskers ~