PDA

View Full Version : experiences of the pill

sarahblonde32
30-12-11, 17:33
hey ladies,
I've been on the contraceptive pill for many years and although i have always been a moody teenager and never a particularly cheery person, i wondered whether the hormones in the pill could cause my terrible mood swings and depression?
i had a break of a few years and went on the depo and noticed a bit of a difference in my moods, but i did still get quite down, ive tried a few brands and now im on a fairly low dose one, mercilon.
the last couple of years i still get very down still, very 'miserable' 'grumpy' and teary on and off. to the point im sure everyone makes a joke of it!!
its effecting my relationships too...and i just wondered whether it is the pill? just hormones? or SAD? or just a bit of depression? or JUST ME?!!
has anyone come off the pill? should i? im in my early 30's so maybe i should anyway?
thanks
sarah x:wacko:

Savannah
31-12-11, 09:04
Yes, the pill can cause anxiety and depression. I was on the combined pill and I felt pretty low when on it, that along with headaches so my gp took me off it and I felt so much better.

happycarrot
03-01-12, 03:09
It happened to me. I was extremely depressed on one pill, then switched pills and felt much better almost instantly. Then I was put on medicine that interacted with the pill and I developed depression again. After I was taken off that medicine, the depression cleared up. My anxiety is also affected by my hormones--I feel much more anxious and panicky before my period. I would recommend asking your doctor to switch you to a different pill if you want to continue taking it. Some women are just sensitive to some pills, but there are so many that hopefully you can find a better one if you want it. I am still on the pill, I just had to find one that worked for me.