PDA

View Full Version : I cant get my prescription for another 6 days and I've run out of Citalopram.

theharvestmouse
30-12-11, 21:11
I don't know how this happened, its because my medication ran out 2 days after christmas and I didn't have a chance to order my prescription. Then today I went to the dispensary and handed the bit of paper I thought was normal and the woman said whats this? I said I'm here to get my repeat prescription and she said have I ordered it and said its the wrong bit of paper.

By now I was getting anxious because there were other people in there, but I was confused because normally I just hand the bit of paper and they do it in 5 or 10 minutes and give it to me there and then and this woman starts saying that I will have to wait until next Thursday before I can get it. Then she said if its urgent I could go in the doctors but I was in a mad rush and had a train to catch so I couldn't.

Now I've been 3 days without taking Citalopram and I feel awful (not sure if its coming off it or me panicking). Now I won;t be able to get it until next Thursday because of the stupid bank holiday which I could not give a sh*t about. I feel awful, today I had to go to London with my parents and I've been feeling depressed and having lots of suicidal thoughts.

Im really worried now, but what a stupid service the NHS is, I suffer from anxiety and why the hell do they make it so confusing to get the medication, and why did that stupid woman start putting me on the spot in front of those people. I'm so fed up, I'm seriously panicking now because I have my CBT next week and what will she say when I tell her whats happened.

Its the same old me, I didn't do enough to get my medication and now its a life and death situation, instead I worried about going to visit a relative in London who does not know how bad I am.

stupid NHS, is it any wonder loads of people kill themselves if this is the service for people with anxiety and depression.

JaneC
30-12-11, 21:36
Try calling NHS 24 and explaining what happened and how you feel. You may get a bit of a row but hopefully they will sort you out

ElizabethJane
30-12-11, 21:45
Dear Harvest Mouse sorry that you have had difficulty obtaining your meds. I have to have regular meds too and order them online and then collect the prescription from the docs and take it myself to the pharmacy. I think that you needed to take the form to the pharmacy who then ask your doctor to write out your personal prescription for you. They will usually phone you and tell you when it is ready. The pharmacy are not allowed to dispense your prescription without your GP or another doctor in the practice's permission. We have a local NHS walk in clinic in our area. If you have one of those then they might be able to help also. I'm sure that you are not the only one who has run out of meds over the Christmas period. Best of luck .EJ.

mabel
30-12-11, 21:54
Ring NHS direct 0845 4647. They will tell you what to do and you can get your meds. It is possible! I did it a few months ago and was able to get mine.

Take care and don't suffer unnecessarily!

Mabel xxx

nomorepanic
30-12-11, 22:25
They should be able to give you an emergency supply.

I don't think the NHS should be blamed for this though lol.

theharvestmouse
31-12-11, 08:56
I'm going to go this morning and try to sort it out, what I am blaming the NHS for is not ever explaining the system or the procedure of getting medication. I have never been told that I can phone up or order it and was not even told where I can get my medication from.

Not good enough for treatment of mental illness.

moirascott
31-12-11, 13:28
Hi Mouse

I hope you have managed to get your supply of Citalopram.

However, to be fair you can not blame the NHS for this, as individuals we need to take responsibilty for obtaining our medication.

My supply is on repeat prescription, I can either

order it on line or via the surgery.

GP Practices do work differently I can not phone up and order mine, it has to be done via the methods above.

I think that next time if in any doubt check with your GP/Pharmacy beforehand, and please don't leave it until the last minute I would hate you to go through this again.

Moira

nomorepanic
31-12-11, 14:00
If you have a LLoyds Chemist they do a repeat prescription service so you don't need to remember to order medication as they will do it all for you. I use that. I think other chemists like Boots do it as well.

macc noodle
31-12-11, 15:30
Yes - Tesco do it too.

Harvestmouse - you really need to keep on top of this and make sure that you have the meds you need.

Also, I would say that if you are really feeling suicidal, then a trip to the docs is required because I am not too sure that lack of Cit of say a few days would induce this feeling.

Macc Noodle

zombie
31-12-11, 15:52
I've done the same thing in the past with the medication I take for my heart. If you get your perscription from the same chemist they will have all your details on computer.

When I ran out a simply explained I'd cocked it up and they looked me up on the system and gave me what I required (if I remember correctly I just paid for the tablets they gave me) They made a note of it and asked me to make sure I put in the repeat perscription asap.

People forget their persciptions all the time or simply mis-count tablets. They are allowed to give you an "emergency supply" if needed. If you can stick to the same chemist, they'll get to know you.

Just expalin to the pharmasist, (NOT the counter staff) they should sort you out.

theharvestmouse
31-12-11, 16:40
Managed to go and get an emergency supply this afternoon and feel much calmer now, thanks for everyones advice on here. It was my fault for leaving it to the last minute but it would have helped to have been told the procedure. I am not used to going to the doctors and being on medication. I went to the doctors once in 8 years before having my anxiety problems so I'm not used to it and its changed a lot.