PDA

View Full Version : Palpatations!!!

Driver
31-12-11, 10:00
First time poster. Hello all, I have been having palps on and off for a few years now. The type are big heavy thuds. I have had a few ECG's and everything has come back ok. I suffer from stomach issues and take two 15mg lansaprazole a day. This last few weeks the palps have been awful, yesterday I had about 20, I notice them when I lean forward, sit back, lie on my side. I had a McDonald's yesterday and then some chocolate and coke, I then became more acidic. Would the acid be causing an irritation in that area ? I am beginning to think that I'm locked in a circle of stressing about the palps and causing acidity and then triggering palps but maybe they arent linked at all!! Anyone with any ideas would be very much appreciated, thank you.

Carys
31-12-11, 10:17
Hiyer, sounds like you are getting runs of ectopic beats, which are harmless. I have had them for the last two years now as well (and once before for a few months many years ago, when I had dreadful indigestion and was taking prescribed meds for it) and with me they are totally linked to my stomach. I know there are many others here too who find a link to eating/indigestion.

The ectopic runs happen after I eat, and are flippin awful if I have eaten too much and get indigestion...so Christmas has been particularly bad. The vagus nerve is situated near the stomach and can be stimulated with indigestion and tension of the stomach area, which in turn causes these irregular patterns. Harmless, but annoying. A doctor I saw last year had exactly the same as I experience, and after eating food ! (It was so nice to meet someone in the medical profession who understood and saw the link to eating)

Which comes first, the indigestion causing the heart pattern irregularities or the heart irregularties causing stress and then indigestion....probably hard to say. Either way they are both tied together and can be seen as a unit, each affecting the other. I know that severe family 'stresses' started mine off a couple of years ago, and they have become so much part of my life that I don't even blink any more at the ectopic runs. I have found that eating small meals, eating low fat food, not eating too late in the evening and taking exercise can help in dealing with the indigestion.

Hope this helps a little

Driver
31-12-11, 12:33
Thank you so much Carys.