PDA

View Full Version : feel dizzy and unbalanced only when walking

lina300
01-01-12, 18:20
hi i have been having this unbalanced/dizzy feeling when i walk around - i have been to the docs and a&e and they say there is nothing physically wrong with me - does anyone else experience this and anyways to combat it? it is a massive annoyance as i enjoy being outside and walking and working out and fear it is taking over my life - i can't stop thinking about it either it drives me mad

pinkdove
01-01-12, 22:31
Hi Lina,sounds like it is anxiety related to me, i can get dizzy just sitting, it is really annoying and uncomfortable.

the only help i can offer is to go with it and not fight it, easier said than done i know, but since taking my meds it has helped a lot too. wishing you well x

lina300
01-01-12, 22:48
Thanks so much for your response I spend time online looking for what it is and then I feel worse it's horrible and hard to explain the feeling I also worry if I don't think about it then there is some underlying horrible disease sigh to feel normal again just would help to know others feel the same x

eight days a week
01-01-12, 22:51
It could very well be anxiety-related I'm sure but equally it could be vertigo (people think that means fear of heights, but it's not - wikipedia is not too bad on it). It's not a horrible disease and is easily treatable with tablets :)

Your doctor should check for that if it carries on (in my humble opinion).

pinkdove
01-01-12, 22:54
Oh the dreaded dr google lol, we do it and make ourselves worse, have you any one you can talk to, that might help, but you are so not alone,

If the doc's have given you the all clear physically, maybe speak to your gp for some help in the short term, to give yourself a break. good luck x

lina300
01-01-12, 22:58
Yes I was checked for vertigo and was told it is a symptom not a disease in itself doctor didn't think what I described was ear related. Yes I would like therapy my gp is not the best I guess I keep worrying that something is seriously wrong. I convinced myself that the treadmill gave me mdds which happens to people who have been on boats grrrrrr so dreadful x

pablo22
01-01-12, 23:09
i always get this, its awful, I've also been told, like most people here, that there's nothing physically wrong with me... that doesn't prevent this awful symptom though lol, i keep thinking its something wrong with my heart ugh....
just awful:hugs:

eight days a week
01-01-12, 23:16
Yes I was checked for vertigo and was told it is a symptom not a disease in itself doctor didn't think what I described was ear related...

Well yes it's a symptom, but if you have it and there are tablets that can help it, why isn't your doctor at least trying you on them to see if they help? :shrug:

lina300
01-01-12, 23:24
Because she said ears would cause a more spinning feeling also apparently gps don't like to use those tablets because it delays your brain learning to compensate for feeling off balance it just freaks me out like I have reached a point where it's all I think about

eight days a week
01-01-12, 23:28
OK well I really hope you feel better soon :)

lina300
01-01-12, 23:31
Thanks love :) here's hoping

witsend
02-01-12, 01:28
I get this a lot and it sucks. It usually lasts a few days before it passes. I just try to distract myself as much as possible. It will go, don't worry (as if.....)

blingkasa
02-01-12, 10:49
Yes i have that. Feelings of imbalance and dizziness, have been on inner ear medication and its a catch 22 situation as the dizziness makes me anxious and then i panic and then i get dizzy and its just one long torture. Look up labrynthitis as well as inner ear disorders do affect balance.

lina300
02-01-12, 15:25
How do you feel now? Any respite? It drives me mad and gets progressively worse through the day the more I think about it sob o

Sarah1973
02-01-12, 18:15
Hi Lina. I know exactly how you feel. I was diagnosed with Menieres Disease 5 years ago now which causes dizziness, balance problems and vertigo. I am not by any means saying this is what you have though. Menieres comes with lots of other symptoms too.It seems like your doc isn't very understanding. It may be an underlying ear infection or it may well be anxiety.
There are some really good exercises that you can do which will alleviate your symptoms of in balance and dizziness. You need to do them for a few minutes daily though. Look for Cawthorne Cooksey exercises on the web and hopefully in time you will be feeling much better.
Sending you hugs xx

shelley1813
02-01-12, 21:43
Hi as im sat here on the laptop im dizzy!!!!! Docs say its my anxiety. It is the worst feeling ever. Even when i dont feel stressed i am dizzy. It is scary xx Take care xx

lina300
02-01-12, 21:54
Horrible I know wish i could stop thinking about it it's all I think about

shelley1813
02-01-12, 22:09
Me to its all i worry and think about at the minute. Thinking it might be something more serious. Its horrible and scary but at least we knw we are not alone xx:)

*clare*
02-01-12, 22:19
I get this feeling alot. Infact i have it tonight quite badly and it made me come on here. I feel like i can't walk in a straight line and i need to hold onto something incase i fall over when im standing still. Even sitting down i'm still feeling lightheaded. I've had this feeling on and off for years so it must just be the anxiety but its so scary. I also have moments which last seconds where i actually loose my balance and begin to fall. As if im going to faint (although i never have fainted yet)......It's a horrible feeling x

lina300
02-01-12, 22:37
I have a feeling that this is one stubborn symptom even when I try to think of something else it's still there just want to feel normal x

*clare*
02-01-12, 22:44
It's the story of my life, if its not one thing im worrying about then its another!!! This unbalanced feeling is horrible. It's almost like i'm drunk when i haven't touched a drop!! I guess the key is to try and relax about it and not worry too much, easy for me to say when i do worry about it but we just have to try.... :)

petram
02-01-12, 23:06
i have had this 1 with anxiety , feel dizzy n faint walking around tesco or town or into school , feel s like im gonna faint , i was told its down to anxiety and not breathing correctly , u need to practise good breathing techniques some good free tips on line xx

Wysteria
02-01-12, 23:11
Could be benign vertigo syndrome, it's intermittent and worse when you walk but the best thing is just to get on with it, take the tablets and try not to let it rule your life. It's made worse by anxiety so try not to worry about it. It does feel like being drunk without the fun part of actually drinking so I think you may have the same thing I do.

It's livable with. Just don't move too fast and don't worry. Nobody actually knows what causes it, it just sort of... happens, so it's not worth getting all antsy-pantsy over. There is no cure, it's just there.

PM me if you want any more advice, I've lived with it for over a year now and have developed coping strategies :)

tommy7
03-01-12, 05:27
This maybe coming from way left field, but it could be High Cholesterol. I had these feelings before when I was unhealthy.

lina300
03-01-12, 10:57
thanks everyone for your kind words - I suppose it's a case of somehow learning not to think about it and hoping this lessens the symptoms - just wish i would learn to not worry so much!

james2012
18-12-12, 20:49
Hi I'm jay been lightheaded only when walking since 2 Sep 2012 had bloods done and pressure all ok doc says depression and amxity . Feels crap like I'm walking on a boat . Feel sick . And go very pale faced. Get very teird to sleep till late . Fast heart rate sumtime . Any help be great . I'm 33 male . Doc gave me fluoxetine 2omg aday on day 6 now .

JimSch
17-11-13, 04:19
Have anyone of you had a diagnosis or has the dizziness went away? If so, what did you do?

James402
22-10-14, 10:59
I would be interested to see if you guys have managed to get through these feelings. I've been feeling this way for around 2 months. Been back and forth to the doctors and they seem to keep suggest different Anxiety medication. Such a horrible feeling.

ephyphany
02-04-15, 10:39
Hi all,

So many people seem to have this. I thought I was the only one. I have been anemic a year ago, was taking iron tablets for a few months. It did explain my dizziness. Went for a blood test, everything was fine but the dizziness never went away. I have been back and forth to my GP, had even change a medical practice cos felt they werent helping me, just checking my iron levels. I cant even drive long distances anymore. I feel that I am living in a cage. I have a wee one, she is only 5 and needs a lot of attention. I cant even go for long walks. Went to feed the ducks last friday, felt dizzy while walking to the canal, on the way back it got only worse. I had a feeling that I was not getting any oxygen, started to panic, hardly got home, phoned an ambulance. They arrived, checked my blood pressure, blood sugar level, asked a lot of questions and said there was nothing wrong with me. I had a feeling that I would faint at home before they arrived. My blood pressure drops when I stand up. Went back to the GP and he said he thinks I dont have any medical condition. Gave me a cd - relaxation exercises.. I dont know what to do, this is a living hell! :-((

Chlobo
02-04-15, 11:13
Hey I had to respond to this, I had the same feeling as you for 6 months. Absolutely petrified me. It disappeared one day though, the more I started getting out and walking about. Unfortunately the last couple days I've been feeling it again which has sent me into panic mode. I do hope you feel better soon. I know how yucky it can make you feel and it makes you feel like you don't want to leave the house x x

Sia
02-04-15, 17:53
Hi All
I have the exact same problem.
Infact I am not even anxious or panicky now. I am calm but then the dizziness while walking is still there. Even inside the house.
Did any of you who posted above get relieved? Any suggestions? Does it go away on it own?

Chlobo
02-04-15, 19:05
Mine gradually disappeared but the last couple of days it's back :(

Sia
02-04-15, 19:29
Aww Bad.. Did it disappear on its own? How long did you have it and how much time did it take to go away?
See you did it last time you should be able to manage it this time as well. Dont worry.

Chlobo
02-04-15, 19:47
I'm not sure if it feels worse this time though, I had it for about 5 months maybe 6. Constantly. And gradually it got less and less. I had a slight flare up around christmas but it didn't last long. I've felt like it the past 2 days right now, I've also felt slightly nauseous as well.
Thank you I hope so too, I live on my own with my daughter so I'm petrified it's something serious this time

---------- Post added at 19:47 ---------- Previous post was at 19:46 ----------

I didn't really do anything to make it disappear, I just confided in a good friend and we weny out together to yhe zoo and fun places. It eventually disappeared, it's very strange. I'm not sure if it's a reaction to stress