PDA

View Full Version : What is a panic attack? And did I just have one?

Connor_cbt
02-01-12, 08:13
I noticed that there was a few questions about panic attacks that seemed as though the enquirer wasn't sure what was going on when they were having an attack so I thought I'd explain the process of having an attack so that people could identify what was happening. A lot of us have had anxiety for a long period of time and will be all too familiar with this but for those that are experiencing panic attacks for the first time hopefully this will explain a few things.

What is a panic attack?

"Panic attacks are periods of intense fear or apprehension that are of sudden onset and of relatively brief duration. - Wikipedia"

When we become anxious about something usually there is a lot of 'self talk' involved and in this internal dialogue we tend to exaggerate the potential risks of a certain situation for example when 'example person A' had a previous panic attack they felt a bit dizzy and like they would pass out, the next time 'example person A' is faced with the same situation they predict or worry that they will have a panic attack and this time they WILL pass out, and or what if they were sick as well? They would feel embarrassed or ashamed. What if they fainted and as they collapsed they hit their head and died?? Or fell into the road?? Or were mugged as they were unconscious?? With each thought the idea changes from what if? To feel like this WILL happen and each time it escalates the level of anxiety.

Fight or flight?

Eventually the feelings of intense fear/anxiety brought on by these negative thoughts reaches a tipping point and your brain confuses the difference between a theoretical threat or danger with a real one and it engages what is called the 'fight or flight' response. We relied heavily on this reaction as we evolved because this is our instinctive response to danger. When our minds perceive danger it prepares our bodies to either fight that threat or evade itand it does this in a number of ways...

The main chemical culprit is adrenalin when our minds perceive a threat it discharges adrenalin into the blood stream and this sudden release of adrenalin can cause the following to occur.
" increased heart rate (tachycardia), rapid breathing (hyperventilation) which may be perceived as shortness of breath (dyspnea), and sweating (which increases grip and aids heat loss).

Because strenuous activity rarely ensues, the hyperventilation leads to a drop in carbon dioxide levels in the lungs and then in the blood. This leads to shifts in blood pH (respiratory alkalosis or hypocapnia), which in turn can lead to many other symptoms, such as tingling or numbness, dizziness, burning and lightheadedness.

Moreover, the release of adrenaline during a panic attack causes vasoconstriction resulting in slightly less blood flow to the head which causes dizziness and lightheadedness. A panic attack can cause blood sugar to be drawn away from the brain and towards the major muscles. It is also possible for the person experiencing such an attack to feel as though they are unable to catch their breath, and they begin to take deeper breaths, which also acts to decrease carbon dioxide levels in the blood. - Wikipedia"

Even once removed from the panic causing situation the adrenaline will still remain in the blood stream for some time, it is estimated at around 90 minutes or so but this obviously changes as everyone's physiology is different.

This is why it is a good idea to be active once you have had a panic attack as once the perceived threat is no longer present, increased activity will disperse the adrenalin quicker by using up that nervous energy.

I hope this explains things a little bit, obviously each persons panic will differ slightly and will have different triggers but the physical response is fairly similar from person to person. Panic attacks have been described as "the most frightening personal experience a person can have." So don't be suprised if your symptoms are severe but always check with a GP if you have concerns about your health.

whiteblossom
02-01-12, 12:15
Hi Connor I get a burning feeling all over my arms and face as though my skin is burning is this normal?

Connor_cbt
02-01-12, 12:39
Hi whiteblossom,
I've not experienced that personally, does it only occur when you are having a panic attack?