PDA

View Full Version : Advice for Anxiety/Temazepam please

Mizzu
02-01-12, 13:41
Hello, I'm new to the forum and so pleased to have found you. I am 49 years old and have been suffering with general anxiety for the last 30 years. I was hospitalized with it back in 1986 due to not sleeping for almost a week and although I made an excellent recovery, I've always suffered with low grade anxiety on and off ever since. However, more recently it is has come back with a vegenance.

In the last few years, I've been going through lifes ups and downs with the help of temazepam for sleep and anti-depressants (Citralopam). However, last September my doctor had asked to see me as he was becoming concerned at how much temazepam I had been using. Usually I would take two 10mg temazepam for sleep every night whether I needed it or not. I must admit it was getting out of hand and I knew myself that it would only be a matter of time before the doctor questioned the amount of temazepam I was taking on a daily basis.

After my visit to the doctor, it was decided that because of my chronic sleep anxiety issue, that it was a good idea for me to try 10mg of the anti-depressant Mirtazapine plus 10mg of Diazapam to try and wean me off the Temazepam. This worked well for about a week. Unfortunately though, I found myself becoming quite anxious and couldn't understand why I would be feeling so bad. I think it could have been the realisation of coming off sleeping tablets after I'd been using them for so long.

My doctor then very reluctantly prescribed me 14 10mg of Temazepam to help see me through my anxiety/sleep problem, but I just found out today that I took my last one last night and don't think my doctor will prescribe me anymore.

My question is, is it a good idea to stop taking a sleep medication after so long abruptly? I'm already anxious that I'm not going to sleep well tonight due to the fact I have no more tablets and I'm very worried about my next doctors visit as I find visiting him quite stressful enough!! Usually I don't mind visiting my doctor as I have other health issues, but I just feel so vulnerable when I go and see him about sleep/anxiety problems! But I am so dreading going back to see him. Does anyone else feel very anxious when visiting their doctor??

Any help, advice and reassurance will be very much appreciated. Thank you! :)