PDA

View Full Version : New and in need of some support!!

Sarah1973
02-01-12, 16:38
I have registered with this website today as I could really do with some support. After being in a terrible state of anxiety in early October I eventually visited my GP who gave me Citalopram (20mg) and also gave me an ECG which resulted in an abnormal reading which then in turn made my anxiety worse! I have been taking my Citalopram and had started to feel better. However, the past few days I have felt really low and obsessed with the fact that I am going to have a heart attack due to the abnormal ECG. It is really affecting my life and I am not sleeping properly. I get really panicky and experience a lump in my chest accompanied by tingling in my arms and legs and racing, horrible thoughts. It really scares me and I am so fed up of it all. I just want to be as I was before, I don't want to feel this way anymore. I have to go back to the doctors tomorrow morning for a repeat ECG so I am hoping and praying that it won't return an abnormal result as I think I will reach breaking point! I am trying my best to carry on as normal for the sake of my family but my husband doesn't understand even though he really tries to. I have a 5 year old son and I am trying to hold it all together. Has anybody had these thoughts/symptoms? I could really do with some support. Much love to you all x

jade1978
02-01-12, 17:03
Hi

I too get a racing heart, tingling arms, legs, face, skull, often continuously, I get racing thoughts too. I know where you are coming from. Ive got an appointment with a neurologist on Friday which to be honest has made my symptoms worse from the worry of it all. All the best for tomorrow. I'm sure all will be fine. You are not alone. There are some great links on this site to different anxiety symptoms they are really helpful and may ease your mind a little. Best Wishes

pinkdove
02-01-12, 17:09
:welcome: to nmp sarah, sorry to hear you are feeling so anxious.

When you go back to your gp tommorow, tell him/her how you feel, maybe you need your dose increased to help with the anxiety, and i hope your ecg is normal, as that will help you calm down.

good luck for tommorow, keep us posted x

louis
02-01-12, 17:20
Hi Sarah and welcome to a nice site,
Just a bit of information the racing heart may be entirely related to panic and not have anything to do with your physical health at all. the tingling etc are all common symptoms for panic attacks. I also was afraid i was having heart attacks when i started dealing with panic attacks and was actually admitted to the hospital once because they thought it was more than anxiety. So dont feel bad even the professionals get it wrong sometimes. Also an abnormal electrocardiogram is not all that uncommon and does not mean you are definetely in trouble. The only way to know fro sure if someone is having hear trouble of an immdeiate nature is to do a test for blood gasses. They just take a vial of blood and test it for levels to be right for oxygen etc.. I am not a doctor but i know these things are true from my own experience. So dont get down on yourself for your feelings anyone can have them. Read up on what happens when a person goes through a fight or flight response. You have described it well and for people like me who deal with panice disorder knowledge is power. You can get well! Listen to your doctor first. And if it helps you to have an e-mail buddy I like e-mails.

Sarah1973
02-01-12, 17:25
Dear Jade, pink dove and Louis. Thank you so much for your responses. It makes me feel so much better knowing that I am not alone. Thanks again, your words are much appreciated. I will let you know how I get on tomorrow. Thanks again guys. All the best to you all xxx