PDA

View Full Version : Bad sweetcorn, Please help me =[

FireFlyyy
02-01-12, 17:59
Hey,

Please help me, Im in such panic central. I generally make my own meals, but let me mum cook tonight. After eating the chicken and sweetcorn pasta she cooked in white sauce (that I polished off), she said to me "oh dear, the sweetcorn was over a week out of date, I thought it smelled bad yesterday".

Ive literally screamed the house down, cried, panicked, shouted. She knows my fears. Argh. She just doesnt get it.

Please be honest with me - what are the chances of half a tin of sweetcorn that is over a week out of date (that apparently 'smelled bad') of doing me harm or making me vomit? Im so terrified.

:weep:

swgrl09
02-01-12, 18:07
You would know pretty quickly if it is harmful, as you would already be vomiting. My boyfriend has eaten moldy bagels before that looked green just because he was too lazy to look down at it and he was fine. The worst that will happen is you barf and then feel better, but if you haven't already and it has been some time, don't worry.

crystal17
02-01-12, 18:13
You will be fine I promise, I ate a huge bag of crisps yesterday and after read the label and they were 4 months out of date!

Those dates on tins dont really mean anything, they are not perishable goods (bread, eggs, meat) and you could probably eat it a year out of date and be fine.
Oh and sweetcorn always smells weird when you've just opened a tin so your mum was probably just putting two and two together.

FireFlyyy
02-01-12, 18:29
Thanks - I think it was kind of perishable unfortunately though, given that it had been in a plastic tub (taken out of a big tin from being used at christmas in a salad) and sat in the fridge for over a week, so really should have been thrown out...

crystal17
02-01-12, 18:43
Oh I see oh well dont worry still I think you will be fine :)

Zingara
02-01-12, 20:10
I really, really feel for you, as I am just the same - very bad with emetophobia at the moment. I hate to have to cede control over food preparation to anyone else - and I understand your feeling upset that your mum was not more careful. On the bright side, I really do think that you'll be all right. I don't think sweetcorn is a high risk food for food poisoning. Even if it were off it would probably only give you a stomach ache and maybe loose bowels, but it's not likely to make you very sick in the way that, for instance, prawns would. Keep calm and try not to think about it! I think you'll be fine.
Thinking of you - living with emetophobia is terrible, I know from long experience. Just facing every day takes courage, as there's no surefire way to avoid it, as there is if you're afraid of heights or trains or whatever, and eating is a battle that we have to fight daily, no days off from it. You're doing very well. xx

theharvestmouse
02-01-12, 20:19
I gave my hens some out of date sweetcorn and they had diorrea, no sure if that will cause the same in humans.