PDA

View Full Version : Dependent on antidepressants

skins12
03-01-12, 01:03
A few weeks ago i ran out of tablets. I have been unable to get more as i haven't been able to get a doctors appointment till 2moz (thank goodness)!!! In the last few weeks without them i have felt as though i haven't been able to cope properly. I feel like i am dependent on them to help me as life without them is just awful. I feel like i will be on them for the rest of my life which upsets me!!! x

hungrycaterpillar
03-01-12, 09:11
If you just suddenly stopped taking them then you are going to feel horrendous! It's very difficult to come off anti depressants and it's highly recommended that you taper off gradually so it's little wonder you're feeling so bad.

I'm glad you've got an appointment now, perhaps ask your doctor if they can do you a repeat prescription so you can re order online? That's what I do.

I tried to come off my medication recently, started by tapering off then stopped all together and ended up in a right state. I'm now back on them, higher dosage and to be quite honest I think I am just going to take them forever now. I don't see it as a weakness, it's an illness which needs treatment, and if the tablets help then I don't see anything wrong with having them forever?

pinkdove
03-01-12, 11:53
Hi skins, yes you are suffering withdrawal symptoms, which are not pleaseant.

The good news is when you restart your meds you will soon feel better.

You will not need the meds for the rest of your life, but when you feel ready to stop, you must do gradually , so to prevent theses side effects.

One more thing, your meds must have been working for you, as you let your script run out, so wait untill you feel better back on the meds, and slowly reduce, you will avoid all these nasty side effects x

skins12
03-01-12, 13:48
The reason why i feel like i will be on them for the rest of my life is because i have been on them for over 7 years.

I have been ordering a repeat prescription online but on my last prescription it said i had to see my doctor before ordering anymore.

My doctor has left the practice and i have had to find a new doctor which im so scared about seeing!!! x

hungrycaterpillar
03-01-12, 17:51
Oh they have to do reviews for any regular medication. I'm sure if you'd told them you'd ran out they would have let you have enough to get you through until your appointment.

I too have been on mine for about 7 years. It's entirely up to you if you choose to stay off them or take them again, do whatever is best for you.