PDA

View Full Version : Beta blockers or anti depressants

cmc46
03-01-12, 12:53
At the moment I am taking 20 mg of Propranolol a day, I have enough for another 2 weeks when I have to go back to the doctors, he was talking of putting me on anti depressants, don't know which one, the Propranolol seems to be helping with my appetite as I had none before taking it and also getting a good nights sleep,the only thing I find is it is hard to relax and I feel OK when I am doing something, has any one had any experience of which it is best to take, the beta blocker or the anti depressant? Thanks.

sheltiemum
20-01-12, 01:21
I have been on Propranolol for about 8 months now and have just today started back on anti-depressants (Citalopram) though I was on a different anti-depressant before. My doctor seemed happy with me having both (both for different reasons the propranolol is for excessive migraines) if the propranolol is working for you on its own then avoid anti-depressants but if you feel you need the anti-depressants ask the doctor about maybe using both.

Best of luck sorry I can't be more of a help.:hugs:

Cjo20
20-01-12, 09:28
I was on Propranolol for 2 months for anxiety, and last week my GP introduced Citalopram. The reason being that Propranolol is great for the physical symptoms of anxiety (no more hyperventilating, sweats etc.) but it doesn't help with the anxious thoughts, or avoidance behaviours, whereas the antidepressants should have some impact on those.

sickandtired
20-01-12, 09:31
Anti depressants have really calmed me down....propranolol wasnt strong enough for me....i was a mess before Xmas.....now, im feeling more like my self....Im never stopping taking AD,s
first few weeks were very tough though....side effects can be quite horrible...but worth it for the sense of calm i feel now

screwpanic
20-01-12, 10:58
I started propranalol (80mg sr) and citalopram (20mg) the same day. That was 17 days ago now I feel pretty darn good. I only took propranalol for first 7 days as I had to stop it to do a 24hr urine (urinary vma) never felt i needed again since then. Propranalol defo help in the early days and citalopram has kicked in nicely now.

cmc46
22-01-12, 11:37
Thanks all for your help, I feel at the moment that I need something extra to the 20 mg propranalol as I still get the hyperventilation at times and still worry that there are things wrong with me, I am very reluctant to take more pills but it sounds as though they have all helped you so will see what the GP says next time I go, I just feel I need that little bit extra at times. Thanks again.