PDA

View Full Version : any tips to stop yourself having negative thoughts?

lina300
03-01-12, 14:23
anyone - would be nice to stop thinking i am dying or something!?

Ella_Jayne
03-01-12, 16:52
When I was at my worst with anxiety I constantly thought I was just going to just drop dead. When I went to CBT I was told to challenge the negative thoughts. For instance, I used to think that if I was home alone that I would drop dead. So I started to challenge it, like putting the thought on trial. Why would I drop dead just because I'm at home? How likely was it to happen? etc... I make a list arguing 'for' and 'against'. 'Against' always won and showed me how unlikely what I feared would happen. It's not a method that will make it all go away instantly but after a while, you start to naturally do it in your head and I personally found that it helped a lot. It made me see how unrealistic some negative thoughts that I had were. I hope it works for you, if not I hope you find a method that does. :)

nomorepanic
03-01-12, 16:56
Thoughts can't kill you - it is just your mind being overactive

Replace each negative with a positive or at least challenge the negative ones

lina300
03-01-12, 17:07
but with these negative thoughts i have this horrible dizzy feeling that i think about all the time and now i am worried i have some underlying health disorder because i am not getting physical symptoms it's scary