PDA

View Full Version : Hi, new and just looking for a bit of advice...

juicebox34
03-01-12, 20:20
Hi,

My girlfriend has started suffering from Panic Attacks. Its only begun in the last 2 weeks but they seem pretty intense. I've never seen anyone actually suffer from an attack before and they seem to happen when we're alone, hanging out in my house. We're still pretty young and I doubt any of our friends know much about the topic. Don't wanna ask parents because they'll ask too many questions and make the situation worse I imagine. Anyone got aany advice on anything I can do to make the situation a bit easier on her?

Thanks

nomorepanic
03-01-12, 20:21
Hi juicebox34

A huge warm welcome to nmp.

You'll get loads of advice and support here and make some lovely friends along the way.

Best wishes

sickandtired
03-01-12, 20:25
just be there for her.....she may become extremely embarrassed about it around friends and is probably scared about when it will happen again.she may even become argophobic or struggle with sleep....
has she had alot of stress or worries lately? if you think she may be suffering with depression too,perhaps its time to visit the doctor

juicebox34
03-01-12, 20:35
Yeah she is struggling with sleep and I know she is taking sleeping pills. Since I've known her she's always been a bit anxious and of late she's seems more quiet. I'm not sure what's different about her. It sort of seems to have just crept up and now Im only starting to realise the situation. Is there any specific action people take when someone suffers from a Panic Attack? Cheers...

anitaa
03-01-12, 20:39
just reassure her that everything is alright and not to be scared or worried, maybe she might need someone to talk to or visit the doctor for advice

---------- Post added at 20:39 ---------- Previous post was at 20:38 ----------

trying to distract her is good too:)

moirascott
03-01-12, 22:42
Hi Juicebox

Welcome to the forum, you will find loads of advice that will help you and your girlfriend.

Moira

sickandtired
04-01-12, 08:08
Reassure her when she,s had an attack,she may feel like she,s dying if her heart is beating fast ,but its all part of the panic,nothing bad will happen.They are exhausting and sometimes debilitating,....
She may feel like she,s losing it,but its all part of anxiety.She could practice breathing deeply,making sure her breathing out is as long as breathing in.
I found some relaxation music on utube when I first started with the attacks.....but this alone wont stop an attack and you have to really try hard to calm yourself down and relax properly (very difficult when youre in such an awful state)
Keeping busy will take her mind off things,but I found as soon as I sat down to relax,my thoughts and fears crowded my head again and the fear of a panic attack just fuels the anxiety more....its a rotten viscious circle.
Personally,I couldnt cope,so ended up going to the doctor for beta blockers......then again for Anti depressants,when my panic /anxiety escalated .But only your girlfriend can judge how bad she,s feeling,try not to pressure her into going to the doctors......she is probably very embarrassed and it takes alot to take that first step to visit the doc.Just be there for her

juicebox34
04-01-12, 17:51
Thanks guys...

quickman
05-01-12, 18:01
Hi,

The sleeping element doesn't sound good. I usually find myself more suspectible to the 'flashover' when I'm exhausted - not ust afterone or two days, but whe I've been burning the wick at both ends after a good few days. :( Maybe they're related?