PDA

View Full Version : well that was unpleasant!

Scruffy Alfa
03-01-12, 23:23
Hiya,
I am two hours into learning about panic attacks after having to come home from work today.
For a while now I have had what felt like a thumping heart but after a burp this tended to subside, frequency up to a few times a day. Today though this was coupled with worry, headache, tense neck which made my head felt realllly heavy, dizzyness, lightheadedness and feeling like my body was no longer connected together! Rather than faint at work and suffer the wrath of my work colleagues I braved a drive home with the windows open as I am only a couple of miles from the office. When I got back I had bad shakes, weeing every 20 mins and then felt really quite cold.
So I went for a kip and feel better this evening but this is 12 hours later.

Leading up to the event I had a cuppa tea followed by two mugs of filter coffee and a bit of stress but that is nothing new. Looking back I have had quite a few 'lighheaded events' but bad ones like today occurred in March in busy NY but have only actually fainted once recently.
Spoke to my Sis this evening and she has similar issues as does Dad.
So was this a panic attack or should I see the Doc? I'd like to stop this feeling and dislike the lack of control.

Oh, sorry for long post.
Ps. Have had epilepsy whilst growing up and am still on anti-convulsants.

cruft
03-01-12, 23:28
sounds like anxiety hun, especially if it is in your family. just try to relax and find something to take your mind off it. if it continues go see your gp just for a check up and to put your mind at rest. sometimes it just comes on for no apparent reason which can be horrible. just remember it is harmless and your not gonna die. if you have fainted recently maybe its worth mentioning this to your gp too , there may be a reason for it, and if there is and its treated you will be fine, good luck hun xx:)

Scruffy Alfa
03-01-12, 23:37
Thanks Cruft, yes it does make you wonder what was gonna happen next. I was even regretting not making a will!
I did try and relax by getting some fresh air and having a sit down but it didn't go away and the longer it stayed the worse I got, but if it is anxiety that is easier for me to pigeonhole rather than the unknown.

Tero
04-01-12, 00:00
Anxiety symptoms. When you have had a panic attack you will know. With me its the contrast of the panic and when its over that tells me.

Scruffy Alfa
04-01-12, 18:31
I don't understand the significance of anxiety symptoms as this is all new to me, should I not be worried about it happening again and could it be worse next time? :unsure:

Scruffy Alfa
04-01-12, 22:05
Thank you Natalie, I'll call the Docs and set up an appointment tomorrow.