PDA

View Full Version : Stabbing Jaw Pain

xtremx
04-01-12, 21:08
Hi, over the last 4 months or so i have been getting a intermittent stabbing pain in my jaw (at the front/just to the left) the pain only lasts for a few seconds at a time but scares the life out of me that i am about to have a heart attack (as that is a major fear in my life).

I do have chest pain but that is almost a constant everyday thing as i have GERD/Reflux and also costochondritis. And have been taken into A&E twice in 12 months with chest pain had chest x-rays done and ecgs and also bloods taken to show no damage to the heart (so no heart attacks).

Have in the last few months had a Treadmill stress test to see if it was angina (that came back all clear) and the dentist has done x-rays of my jaw and also a head mri and thay cameback ok.

But my jaw pain seems to be a daily thing now and does seem to come on when stressed, but not all the time and also sometimes if it is cold.

Once i get the stabbing/shock like pain it leave my jaw in that area feeling sore.

I am taking naproxen 3x aday for the pain and the dentist has given me pregabalin (but i have yet to start them yet, To scared).

But no one seems to know what is causing the pain the dentist thinks it could be a nerve thing.

Does anyone get this and do you think it is just anxiety.

Thanks

SomeOddworld
04-01-12, 22:18
I get this, do you grind your teeth a lot or chew a lot of chewing gum? Because it can cause a problem with the TMJ in your jaw (TMJD, google it) and can cause this sort of thing.

Even if its not that anxiety can cause shooting/stabbing pains basically anywhere.

xtremx
04-01-12, 22:34
I get this, do you grind your teeth a lot or chew a lot of chewing gum? Because it can cause a problem with the TMJ in your jaw (TMJD, google it) and can cause this sort of thing.

Even if its not that anxiety can cause shooting/stabbing pains basically anywhere.

Hiya SomeOddworld, Yes you made agood point on the tmjd and yes i used to suffer from that but have trained myself not to grind/clench my teeth.

Thanks for your reply:)

pablo22
04-01-12, 23:47
I have TMJ and have been told my dentist (on a number of occassion o_o) that i grind my teeth in my sleep, and now wear a nyt guard! u cant control ur TMJ in ur sleep, this is what , in all probability is causing ur pain. hope this helps