PDA

View Full Version : Venlafaxine, please help

anybody
05-01-12, 00:36
I was on citalopram 20mg for 3 months, didnt feel better, then doctor put me on Venlafaxine 37.5mg = 2 per day, was on them for 3 months, no good affects, so now ive been on 75mg = 2 per day = 150mg, been on this for 1 month, and i feel so much worse, bad dreams every night, poor sleep, sweating in my sleep all on body, angry all time, no energy, extreme low mood, etc etc.

Should i stop these pills, or try another month, or try stronger dose?
Looking back, 20mg citalopram, i was not feeling this bad on them.
i just couldnt tell if citalopram was doing anything good for me.

I dont even know if i have depression or anxiety, doctors have done no testing properly, just basic questions, and then "oh ur depressed". Did CBT therapy and therapist gave up after handful of sessions, saying it wasnt working and i need to see psychologist. so waiting for a psychologist now.

So ive been on pills for 7 months or 8months, and i havnt felt a good day or week or month, its like nothing is happening, how i feel is like how ive felt all my adult life, like not good.

would i still feel venlafaxine withdrawal even if pills have NOT worked for me?
whats the best way to get off these pills? because i really want to try a diff pill, now that ive finally started to take medication.
do you think i should go for a higher dose of venlafaxine?

thanks for advice and help given.

Lizziesaurus
09-01-12, 19:39
If you feel bad on a low dose, a higher dose would only make things worse. These tablets are AWFUL! Citalopram didn't work for me either, I stick by the fact that you should notice a difference. I also feel your pain with no help from doctors. I'm currently going it alone and it's a nightmare, hoping to go through work when I see occupational health about my bad back! Takes the mick!

Anyway, people say taking prozac helps withdrawal. I never did this, I tried cold turkey and NEVER EVER AGAIN!!! I was so close to ending my life it was that bad, the headshocks. When I went for an emergency prescription I looked like a junkie needing heroine! Wouldn't wish it on anybody.
Come off it slowly, get your dose down to 1 37.5mg tablet a day, then take that every other day or so. I managed to get off these eventually but it wasn't easy, it wasn't quick and it wasn't the nicest of things.

If you want anymore advice feel free to PM me :) Good Luck!

anybody
09-01-12, 19:47
thanks, looking back, i think citalopram were better, now i wanna go back to citalopram but higher dose. now im sleeping 2 to 4 hours only and tired in day but cant sleep.
im guessing my doctor doesnt even know how hard the withdrawal is....on venlafaxine.
cold turkey meaning you didnt lower the dose to end? just stopped?
thanks.

Lizziesaurus
09-01-12, 23:25
Yes that's right, wouldn't suggest it just in case, I wouldn't wish that withdrawal on my worst enemy.

brit
16-01-12, 22:03
Hi, i went through the hell that is Venlafaxine withdrawel last year.
However, i eventually stumbled on a way to make it bearable.
This is what worked for me.

Taper down very slowly to a low dose, for me this was half of a 37.5mg tablet. After i had stabilised on this dose i saw my doc and got some prozac (cant remember of the top of my head the dose, but it was the lowest one)

Stop the Venlafaxine, then the next day take a prozac. I dont agree with this alternating days thing, in my opinion your body just gets even more messed up and doesent know what the hell is going on. This works because Prozac works in a very similar way to Venlafaxine, but has a much longer half life - hence why it is easier to withdraw from.

I also was prescribed some low strength Diazapam, which i took only when it got really bad - once.

You may get what are described as 'brain shivers' or 'brain shocks'. Dont worry, they are harmless but a bit disconcerting.
I found that Benadryl helped with them.

I gleaned all this knowledge from the internet, and put it to use. It really really helped me, and hopefully it will be of use to others too.

Doctors still dont really understand the hell that coming off this drug can be.
Stay safe,
Nick