PDA

View Full Version : Parnate - would like some advice...

sweetwater
29-04-04, 08:57
Hi everyone,
Sorry,long time no speak. Hope you are all well. I have a q. regarding Parnate (MAOI) that I was taking for about 8 wks maybe a little more, but I have ceased taking it, as of 2 wks ago. It's funny, originally it was like a gift from heaven, it seemed to chill the anxiety out really effectively, but then I started to get kinda loopy on it, like my judegment of things got really cloudy, and I started to get a bit vague on it too...just wondering has anyone else been on it, and if so, have you had a reaction like this? I've been on many meds, and I just seemed to have this same response every time. Thanks.

stimpy
29-04-04, 09:19
I did manage to find a little information for you.

Ain't medical books great!

It says in the book that there may be side effects, these include:
weakness, drowsiness, head ache, dizziness, dry mouth, nausea, abdominal pain, or constipation. Anorexia, palpitations, blurred vision, chills, urinary retention, sweating, impotence, tinnitus, muscle spasm and tremors, skin rash and mild jaundice.

The most common side effect being insomnia and it is recommended that you take your medication before 3pm to avoid it.

It sounds to me (as a lay person who knows nothing) that the poor judgement and vagueness is caused by a mixture of panic and medication.

I can't say I have ever taken it myself.

Just found this bit too - it says you should carry a card with you incase of emergency so that people know what medication you are taking.
It also reacts badly to certain foods too, cheese, sour cream, pickled herring, liver, meat prepared with tenderizers, Bovril, yeast extracts like Marmite, soy sauce, pods of broad beans, canned figs, raisins, banana peel or overripe avocados, chocolate and caviar.

Love, light and Best wishes
Liz xxx
With hard work and determination and all the things you know.
The world is there for you to take. There's nowhere you can't go.

[:p]Scatty Eccentric & 'Poet Laureate to panic and anxiety'

sweetwater
30-04-04, 11:15
Thanks Liz...your lay person perspective makes much sense let me tell you...and thank-you for taking the time to look it up in the medical book...i'm threw with searching for `wonder drug'...screw it. i'd rather be a bit nervy, than be vague and not judge things properly the way i know i can when i'm on the ball. Take care veryone.