PDA

View Full Version : mindfullness meditation anyone tried it?

c700
05-01-12, 15:35
Hi I suffer from quite bad stress, general anxiety, panic attacks and health anxiety. I have been having cbt privately on and off for 3 years but thinking about enrolling on a mindefullness meditation course. I am strugeling at the minute and it is the final thing to try before medication.
Would it be worth a try?

theharvestmouse
05-01-12, 15:58
Yes, I haven't done it myself but know someone who went on a week long retreat and they found it very helpful. I'm looking into doing it myself.

robinbrum
05-01-12, 16:33
Me too!

lleksam
05-01-12, 16:39
I have tried it.

If you really stick with it can really help, also some of the exercises are very relaxing and can help you get to sleep.

I have used : http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mindfulness-practical-guide-finding-frantic/dp/1405509074

Sometimes it has really helped and I've sort of drifted off into a peaceful mood and slumber and other times it hasn't, the more you practice the better you will be at applying its techniques.

---------- Post added at 17:39 ---------- Previous post was at 17:38 ----------

Oh and the authors and teachings are supported by NICE (UK's National Institute of Clinical Excellence)

susiegoo
06-01-12, 17:07
Try a pranayama mat. This is a small mat covered in plastic discs that have raised bits on them. You lie down on it with bare skin or a very thin cloth. It is quite uncomfortable for about a minute then you start to feel a warm feeling. I honestly was very sceptical but I really love it. You can even stand on it although as I am heavy it's a bit too painful. The first time I used it I just felt so relaxed afterwards that I wanted to lie down and sleep.

It works by using acupressure points, you can lie face down or on your back or sit upright with it behind you against the armchair back. The vary in price but I picked mine up in TK Maxx for £13. Most of the family have poo pooed it until they try it, then they are converted. It can be used for pain relief as well as stress.

lleksam
06-01-12, 19:51
The CD I've listed if broken into 9 meditations, Some are about how the body is responding and stress and anxiety and it teaches you to just observe them and not judge them or panic about them. Other meditations teach you to face stressful thoughts without attaching stress or feeling to them, they are just thoughts etc

Might be worth looking up

Meewah
07-01-12, 22:50
Try searching for your nearest Buddhist centre.I have studied Buddhism for about 5 years now and find it very useful.

Mee

quickman
07-01-12, 23:15
I intend to find meditations classes in Birmingham. Scratch that, I have foud them. They start Jan 19th and I intend to go to them all.

Tish
08-01-12, 17:11
Thanks for the link lleksam, I've just had a look on Amazon and ordered 'Mindfulness for Dummies'. It cost £10.02 with free postage and is a paperback book with cd. I ordered this one simply because it had a 5 star rating! x