PDA

View Full Version : How did you accept your problems?

lleksam
05-01-12, 16:34
Hey,

I'm currently struggling to accept that my OCD has returned, it's making me stressed and depressed that it has returned after almost 2 years free of it.

It's not a full blown relapse or something, It really is just minor intrusive thoughts, but the GAD is causing me to worrying and treating about it.

How have you accepted your disorders? I find it still hard to accept I have these problems but I don't run away from them.

Any advice!

theharvestmouse
05-01-12, 17:17
I was in denial for a few years and in the end I had to accept I had a problem and that I needed help. Whether I have fully come to terms with it I am not sure, but I accept that its there and I'm doing my best to get over it.

Maybe when you recovered you wanted to forget completely you had it rather than think that its always there but you had found a way to deal with it.

I'm no expert so maybe you should seek professional help to deal with it?

crystal17
05-01-12, 19:17
I sing in a band as a backing singer and about 3 months ago I was rehearsing in the studio with the others and we were singing a really moving sad song. I suddenly felt overwhelmingly aware of my depression and anxiety and the fact that I was in a dark place. I felt a sense of calm and then realised I needed to accept that this was where I was, and that it was mostly due to a relationship and living situation that I cant get out of. I thought it was just a shame to be this low and that somehow I would be ok one day. As I was singing I truly experienced all my sadness and the darkness in the pit of my stomach and had to try to hold back the tears - in fact I think I did start to cry but hid it well. It was really bizarre.

So my point is that you may have to 'go there' at some point, meaning dont shrug off your problems and say that they cant get to you, just literally feel them and all their unpleasantness. It will help you get in touch with where you are, and self awareness is a first step to healing.

Then you can decide you want to get better and look into ways of doing that.

I hope all that makes sense! May not work for everyone but I can honestly say that feeling your feelings is so important.