PDA

View Full Version : friendships...

Butterfly22
05-01-12, 16:54
Does anybody out there find that they tend to hold on much more tightly to friendships than usual? coupled with this is a fear you might lose the friend even though youve been friends for a while and there is no real reason for to lose the friend, kind of obsessively worry about the friendship too... :shrug:

robinbrum
05-01-12, 17:00
Yes. I have pretty much lost what I thought what was a great friendship recently. My only true friendship. I now find it very difficult to trust anyone and feel condemned to a life of loneliness because of it. And it is very difficult to make new friends once you reach a certain age.
Sorry if that is hardly reassuring for you. I hope in your case it's just your mind getting the better of you. What you said struck a chord with me anyway.

Butterfly22
05-01-12, 17:04
Awww, I'm sorry to learn of your experience, I hope you make some new friends some day, I know it isn't easy, am hoping its just an anxiety thing, I just get worried that I might ruin the friendship by holding on too tightly if that makes sense.

robinbrum
05-01-12, 17:06
Yes it does but if they're a true friend they will understand that, I'm sure.

Butterfly22
05-01-12, 17:09
I agree with you there :)

theharvestmouse
05-01-12, 17:22
I've lost a lot of friends through my anxiety cutting me off from them, one good friend just ceased contact as well and that annoyed me. I barely have any friends now at all, one of the biggest things I found out was that a lot of them were not true friends but I also have a problem with trusting people.

If you have good friends Butterfly then they will stay with you regardless of how much you see them etc.

Butterfly22
05-01-12, 18:14
Awww that is such a shame harvestmouse, thats so superficial of them to cease contact with you because of your condition, your right they weren't true friends. I can sympathise with you about trusting people.

eden.eden
06-01-12, 10:16
Yes I am finding that. I've confided so far in just 6 friends about this depression. Am finding ones I thought would really be there for me just aren't. I think I may have completely jeopardised one really good friendship by the disclosure and that makes me really really sad. On the other hand another who I only told because I thought she already knew from someone else, has been a rock.