PDA

View Full Version : panic when alone

msjo
05-01-12, 17:44
Does anyone else have great anxiety or panic attacks when they are alone. I hate hate being in the house on my own. any words of advice??

I have suffered with GAD/Panic for years although it has recently got worse and have switched meds from cit to mit.

thanks

lizzie29
05-01-12, 17:50
I've had this on and off of varying degrees over the years. I'm okay in the day and early evening at the moment, but don't like it later in the evening. I tend to leave a lot of lights on, and the TV. Do you know what it is that you're scared of?

quickman
05-01-12, 18:16
Is it something based on the fear? Fear of if you're alone, there's noone to help/call for help were the worst to happen to you? :/

msjo
05-01-12, 18:48
Yep, scared that what if something happens to me, ie Panic attack, also fear of what if i go 'crazy' who is here to help me. I know its daft but it is just so frightening sometimes. I too put lots of lights on, Tv etc and just try to keep busy.

quickman
05-01-12, 19:08
Well, that's identified possibly the root cause of it then I hope.

Have to admit at my worst I had such inklings of this - I'd have to be home by 'x' time or can't sleep here, I don't know anyone here who would know how to help me'. Not so bad now, and importantly, by having done these these things [ie, slept in the hostel where noone knew me as such] and coming round aokay next morning it shrivels up the problem.

I find repeat exposure to be one of the best treatments - start out on your terms, do it more, gradually up it until bam, you don't even think about it. :)