PDA

View Full Version : Sertraline Withdrawal symptoms

waccoe
05-01-12, 22:54
Hi

I came off sertraline 10 days ago after decreasing to 50mg for 2 weeks, I was on 100mg for approx 3 months, having severe side effects, "brain zaps", "brain shocks", "brain shivers", "head shocks", feel sick and dizzy, also a bit short tempered, my mood / anxiety / depression feels fine....so i guess there is a small positive.

Anyone else suffered with the electric shock head zaps? If so how long do they last.

I went to my GP today and he said he has never heard of this...yet i look on wikipedia .... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SSRI_di...ation_syndrome (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SSRI_discontinuation_syndrome) and hey presto it says they are a side effect!!

I was worried it was something non related, good old GP !!

Hope someone can help with how long i have to cope with what feels like been tazered every 5 minutes!!:yesyes:

nomorepanic
05-01-12, 22:56
Hi waccoe

A huge warm welcome to nmp.

You'll get loads of advice and support here and make some lovely friends along the way.

Best wishes

waccoe
05-01-12, 22:58
Thanks Nicola, it would be great to share experiences with other people, I also take nitrazepam to help me sleep, although within the next month I am hoping to get off them too....did come off them once before cold turkey which led to the meltdown and sertraline bieng given to me...one big vicious circle i need to get out of! Just wondered / hoping someone else has gone through the sertraline withdrawals so i can see some light at the end of this long tunnel !

Thanks

Mark:)

lins13
05-01-12, 23:47
I went through cipralex withdrawal 3 years ago, i had to wean off them for 9 months, had dizzyness, brain zaps, tremors, twitchin (especially my left eye, was slightly embarrassing especially when in conversation with someone), then 4 months after my last tablet i had all my emotions return which included tears, panic and anxiety but i have learnt to deal with it, and now my Dr has prescribed me with vitamin b6 which seems to be helping a lot with the anxiety, my panic attacks are lurking but under control, i just put my mind onto something else and i do have to leave the room im in to do it. Hope this has helped

waccoe
06-01-12, 14:34
Hi

Thank you for your post, at least i know im not alone, my GP has pretty much said just get through it ggrrr!! Day 14 today sertraline free but the withdrawals are no better...im not the most patient person though lol but these electric head shocks / zaps are horrible and constant, wish they would just bugger off :)

Thanks

Mark