PDA

View Full Version : Part time anxiety

Riggsy
06-01-12, 00:13
Hi All,

First time on the forum - and already feel slighty better after reading some posts here!

Quick background - I'm 25 male - generally quite happy, can get a bit anxious when it comes to certain situations - however health is a big one (also recently developed a fear of flying for no apparent reason - use to love it)

I have previously ha a HIV test all clear - was all down to me being overly anxious!

I know it terrible but I google everything that happens - usually though it gets better within days (cough = lung cancer - twitches = ALS) and without symptoms I am not health anxious at all (if that makes sense) however this time I've had the symptoms for 6 weeks plus - with no let up...

A very Strange headache was top right frontal to start with - very intermittent - and nowhere near painful enough to take meds so very mild.

3 weeks in I notice my nose was quite stuffy and the "headache" was switching sides everyday and also affected cheeks and eyes - so I googled - I got two options - sinusitis and brain tumor! Spend everyday convincing myself it's sinusitis - but always fall back to the tumor. I also have a bad back and neck (I think from poor posture)

The pain varys for instance today's was quite a good day - saw doctor yesterday - he says sinusitis prescribed antibiotocs - but I walk away wondering if I just described the symptoms I wanted - or I didn't describe them properly.

I'm in all sorts of worry - on top of this I am meant to be relocating to Sydney in 4 weeks... I try to convince myself some symptoms are anxiety related but then I think that I get the symptoms without even being anxious!! (can we be anxious without knowing about it?)

I know I've presented a lot of useless info here but really helps to share this info with people who understand how I feel!

Cheers!
L

happycarrot
06-01-12, 01:05
I get anxiety symptoms without feeling overly anxious. I have TMJ disorder, migraines, acid reflux, IBS (really have them, not just the HA talking :) ) and those are all made worse by anxiety. Sometimes I feel very tense or even panicky for no reason that I can think of. I am pretty sure that I manage to convince myself that I have symptoms that I don't really have. And when I really do have some symptom, it's hard to make myself believe that it's caused by something simple and not the worst possible disease.

I also share your fear of flying. I get scared just thinking of being on a plane! I've found that the more I fly, the better I feel and the less scared I get. There is a really helpful message board at www.fearofflying.com.

b4eve
06-01-12, 07:45
I also seem to have part time anxiety (that comes and goes with "symptoms" as triggers). I've actually been putting off seeing my GP for nearly two years (since this bout of anxiety really got underway) because there are spells when I seem more or less fine. But I've accepted that I need help anyway as the problem recurs so often (I'm stressed more of the time than I'm not). This isn't how I've experienced anxiety in the past but I guess people change and circumstances change...