PDA

View Full Version : Successful Changes From Seroxat to Another AD - Advice Please

lauz_lea
06-01-12, 08:51
Hi All

Well, I've been back on Seroxat for almost 7 weeks now (currently on 15mg a day) and have had all the worst side effects and only one good week, between weeks 4-5 (which thankfully was Christmas week).

I've been on Seroxat twice before, usually starting at 20mg, but I just couldn't face the thought of the awful side effects this time so started at just 10mg for the first couple of weeks.

Usually (although I had been at rock bottom on those occassions), I noticed extremely positive results within 4 weeks, not the case this time however, but I wasn't at rock bottom before going back on it, I just knew I was heading that way, but the side effects have sent me spiralling to rock bottom and I'm now considering the option of changing to something else.

For anyone else who has changed from Seroxat to another AD, what did you find worked best for you with miminal side effects?

I appreciate everyone is different, and I have read all the posts on here for those that have changed from Seroxat to other AD's so I have a few in mind.

Any suggestions/advice would be appreciated, I'm at my wits end today.

mallan82450
06-01-12, 11:09
I'm going to be one of those who is going to say . . . Don't give up to soon!! They can take months to take effect sometimes.

Stay strong :)

---------- Post added at 11:09 ---------- Previous post was at 11:06 ----------

Also you say you have started on a low dose increasing to 20mg? You haven't actually settled on a dose yet so you are prolonging the side effects, once your body gets used to one dose you are upping it again. This could be why you aren't feeling any therapy from it. It also maybe that u haven't found the correct therapeutic dose yet, you may need a higher graduation if you have been on this med before.

Hope that helps :)

lauz_lea
06-01-12, 11:27
Thank you for your reply Mallan, in my heart I know thats the case, since I'm already feeling so rubblish I'm considering just upping to 20mg from tonight before I see the GP on Monday. I certainly can't make me feel that much worse that I already do, and I know I should have started straight in at 20mg to begin with to get the full effect quicker, I was just so scared of the SE's, but I got them anyway.

When I feel so rubbish its hard to remember just how positive I have been and how well this AD has worked for me in the past, I just get absorbed reading all the horror stories and all the fears coming flooding over me.

I will still discuss other options with my GP on Monday, specifically Mirtazapine, Citalopram and Pregabalin and see what she thinks. I think I'll react similarly with all SSRI's, but I've only ever tried Seroxat and Prozac so I don't honestly know. Just feeling dispondant at the mo.

mallan82450
06-01-12, 11:44
You do what's right for you lauz, only you know how you feel! You can do it and you will do it! Look at all the other advice you give other people!

Keep us posted.

Jackspratt51
06-01-12, 11:57
Hi Lauz,

I moved from Seroxat to Citalopram to Escitalopram. The worst side effects I've had are with the tiny (5mg) daily dose of Escitalopram I'm now on.

Seroxat was good for me as was Citalopram.

I always followed the Doc's instructions and would never suggest deviation from those as an answer to your problem. Just get an urgent appointment and approval on upping the dose.

Live long and prosper!

John

nicola1980
06-01-12, 12:22
Hi All

Well, I've been back on Seroxat for almost 7 weeks now (currently on 15mg a day) and have had all the worst side effects and only one good week, between weeks 4-5 (which thankfully was Christmas week).

I've been on Seroxat twice before, usually starting at 20mg, but I just couldn't face the thought of the awful side effects this time so started at just 10mg for the first couple of weeks.

Usually (although I had been at rock bottom on those occassions), I noticed extremely positive results within 4 weeks, not the case this time however, but I wasn't at rock bottom before going back on it, I just knew I was heading that way, but the side effects have sent me spiralling to rock bottom and I'm now considering the option of changing to something else.

For anyone else who has changed from Seroxat to another AD, what did you find worked best for you with miminal side effects?

I appreciate everyone is different, and I have read all the posts on here for those that have changed from Seroxat to other AD's so I have a few in mind.

Any suggestions/advice would be appreciated, I'm at my wits end today.
Hi i know exactly how you feel!! ive been taking citalopram for about 15 weeks now, ive took it before and it worked great but this time its taking a longggggggggggg time!! i went to the doctors last week with the intention of swapping but instead ive increase to 40mg, its now been 1 wk and 1 day on the increase and these damn side effects are driving me mad, had a good day yesterday and then today wham im down with anxiety and nausea :mad: i was at absolute rock bottom when i started back on them tho but im not having much faith in them this time round....yet!! xx

Spike78
06-01-12, 13:06
Hi Lauz_lea

You will remember that I posted some time ago about restarting Seroxat. Weill I have been on 20 mg now for just over 4 weeks.

I must say that I have been feeling much better of late but over the last week I have developed a really nasty head cold and feel absolutely dreadful. Over the last couple of days I have been feeling really lightheaded and nausea so am worrying that it is something more serious when it is probably just the consequences of this cold.

I understand what you mean about feeling better quicker in the past. The same happened to me. When I took Seroxat before I was so much better quickly it was amazing. This time has definitely been different. However I am going to stick with them because I know they have worked in the past and I couldn't face changing to another drug and ending up with withdrawal effects and new side effects.

Hope you feel better soon

xx

lauz_lea
06-01-12, 13:38
You do what's right for you lauz, only you know how you feel! You can do it and you will do it! Look at all the other advice you give other people!

Keep us posted.

I know Mallan, sometimes its easier to give advice than take it, silly really cause I'm usually very rational.

---------- Post added at 13:30 ---------- Previous post was at 13:28 ----------

Hi Lauz,

I moved from Seroxat to Citalopram to Escitalopram. The worst side effects I've had are with the tiny (5mg) daily dose of Escitalopram I'm now on.

Seroxat was good for me as was Citalopram.

I always followed the Doc's instructions and would never suggest deviation from those as an answer to your problem. Just get an urgent appointment and approval on upping the dose.

Live long and prosper!

John

Thanks John, I'm going to up to 20mg, as first prescribed tonight, I certainly can't feel any worse right now so who knows. My appointment is on Monday so will have a long discussion with GP then.

---------- Post added at 13:31 ---------- Previous post was at 13:30 ----------

Hi i know exactly how you feel!! ive been taking citalopram for about 15 weeks now, ive took it before and it worked great but this time its taking a longggggggggggg time!! i went to the doctors last week with the intention of swapping but instead ive increase to 40mg, its now been 1 wk and 1 day on the increase and these damn side effects are driving me mad, had a good day yesterday and then today wham im down with anxiety and nausea :mad: i was at absolute rock bottom when i started back on them tho but im not having much faith in them this time round....yet!! xx

Its so frustrating isnt it, just hate dealing with the ups and downs. Today has been a pretty bum day all round, but I haven't done much to help myself in terms of motivation - I just can't seem to find any anywhere :weep:

---------- Post added at 13:38 ---------- Previous post was at 13:31 ----------

Hi Lauz_lea

You will remember that I posted some time ago about restarting Seroxat. Weill I have been on 20 mg now for just over 4 weeks.

I must say that I have been feeling much better of late but over the last week I have developed a really nasty head cold and feel absolutely dreadful. Over the last couple of days I have been feeling really lightheaded and nausea so am worrying that it is something more serious when it is probably just the consequences of this cold.

I understand what you mean about feeling better quicker in the past. The same happened to me. When I took Seroxat before I was so much better quickly it was amazing. This time has definitely been different. However I am going to stick with them because I know they have worked in the past and I couldn't face changing to another drug and ending up with withdrawal effects and new side effects.

Hope you feel better soon

xx

Hi Spike, how long was it before you went up to 20mg, and how long before you started feeling better? I did have a great period between weeks 4 and 5, and maybe into week 6 (memory is fuzzy), but then from New Years Day, I've plummeted downwards. Next Tuesday will be 7 weeks, mainly at a max 15mg, though did have a few days at 16/17mg right before the plummet started so don't know if thats what caused the it. I know I really do need to give it longer, its just hard to be feeling so down everyday :weep:

Spike78
06-01-12, 14:23
Hi

I started straight back on 20 mg after stopping 20 mg fluoxetine. I think initially it was quite strong and the side effects were awful but I persevered and I am now up to just over 4 weeks.

I have had some AMAZING days but then today I feel awful. Lightheaded and really nauseaus. Like I said in my earlier post I am not sure whether it is the head cold I have causing these symptoms.

Mind you with my health anxiety and fear of death I am convinced it is something serious - a heart attack is the thing today. The only thing keeping me going is that I have had so many tests by a consultant cardiologist and the last time I saw him was 1 December and he reconfirmed that there is nothing wrong with my heart. If only this damn health anxiety would allow me to believe him and relax but it doesn't. I now think I need to see another consultant - HOW MAD IS THAT.

Anyway hope you are feeling better - PM me if you want. xx

lauz_lea
06-01-12, 14:31
Hi Spike, I just need to find something that I can tolerate I think - I don't mind the physical side effects like dizzyness, tiredness etc, I just hate the mental side effects it causes. I wasn't as bad as I am now before being on this med this time, which has really dragged me down :(

lauz_lea
07-01-12, 10:34
Well today I feel much the same as yesterday, just no lift in feeling so flat and down. I didn't take 20mg last night, but did go up a bit to 17mg, just fear I guess. I've looked at loads of other medication alternatives over the last couple of days, perhaps too much butdesperate to find a quick fix. I've been smoking too much too which is obviously not good and feel very lethargic so have gone back to bed for some rest and quiet.

I've been vomitting some mornings too which has never happened to me before with this med so I'll see what the GP says about this on Monday.

lauz_lea
08-01-12, 06:08
After spending most of yesterday in bed where I could get comfortable and relax a little (and not chain smoke or use the computer) I started to feel a lift last night which was nice. Feeling better this morning than I have over the last couple of mornings which I'm sure is a positive sign, but I've been up since 4am :(

Was only sick a little this morning and even managed a shower.

nicola1980
08-01-12, 07:35
Glad your feeling a bit better :D i used to retch every morning when i got up its bloody horrible :mad: mornings are always the worst, i hate them!! xx

lauz_lea
08-01-12, 16:27
Thanks Nicola - I forced myself into town with my husband and daughter (after changing my mind to and fro a few times and trying to call the panic that kept rising), and I'm really glad I did. I had a chat with my husband, who is as frustrated with all this as I am, and we seemed to clear the air a little.

I used some of the Claire Weekes teniques today every time I falt anxiety building, and that, coupled with Rescue Remedy helped get me through without it rising to high. This is the first time I've practised this tecnique, but I'll certainly continue giving it a go.

After a not unsuccessful trip we all came home and my mood is definately lifting, as it often does in the afternoons, but I'm knackered and starving now. Considering I haven't eaten much for a week, the fact that I'm so hungry is a bonus.

Docs tomorrow morning so will discuss the ups and downs with her and see what she says.

lauz_lea
09-01-12, 10:08
Visit to the GP went well this morning and she thought there was some possible truth that by being on less than the minimum theraputic dose I was not yet feeling the full benefits, so she has signed me off for another two weeks to see how I get on, and if after that time I'm still not feeling any significant improvement she will change my meds, trying Cit first. She isn't happy that I'm feeling worse, not better and doesn't want to prolong it any longer than being able to say "I gave them a chance", so lets see what the next two weeks has in store. She's signed me off again until I see her next.

She suggested Cit because its usually her first med of choice, along with Prozac (which I've tried before and didn't get on with) and has a longer half life so generally works quicker. Plus, having already overcome the worst side effects of SSRI's, I probably won't get a repeat of those first two horrendous weeks. She finds that to the patients she has prescribed Cit too, they usually work wonders and don't have to try anything else - but we're all different so I'm willing to give them a try if necessary.

I felt less anx this morning, and certainly for less time than usual too and considering going to the GP usually fills me with dread, this is GOOD! My appetite has started to return too (my stomach was rumbling so loud last night I could have woke the neighbours so had to have a little late night snack), and I wasn't sick this morning which is also GOOD!

So, lets see what the next couple of weeks bring :smile:

nicola1980
09-01-12, 14:03
Good luck hun, hopefully this week will be the turning point for you :D good sign you wasn't sick that should make you feel alot better not having to endure that every morning xx

lauz_lea
09-01-12, 16:16
Motivation is one of my biggest problems at the moment, after a week of being in a "funk" (since New Years Day), it's hard to get myself out of my chair and doing things. I'm sure it was similar as what everyone else refers to as a "blip", but it left me with an intense feeling of depression for a couple of days, just like I was in some empty void.

I know I have to push myself to get back to doing things, even just the ironing, or having a shower, but its really hard to do something unless I REALLY have to.

I'm gonna take my daughter to school tomorrow I think (husband usually does this on his journey to work) and then pop to a friends house so that I'm not sitting here on NMP all day ;)

lauz_lea
10-01-12, 12:09
Well, I woke up with a little anx and feeling really flat, can only describe it as depression - no will, motivation, no emotions other than frustration and anger at feeling so, so awful. Its so demoralising and stuggling to find hope that the upped dose will work.

Was sick again this morning (dry heaving I think it is when there's nothing to bring up), but got myself into the shower, which I've been finding hard to do of late - it involves motivation after all.

I keep telling myself its side effects, because I never felt like this before I started taking Seroxat again, but I've never felt like this on the previous occassions (although I've always started straight in at 20mg and never need to go any higher than that).

Starting to believe all the horror stories I've read about Seroxat, which is counter-productive and I MUST stop reading them but I can't stop looking our answers, for a glimmer of hope.

I had an terrible nights sleep as my daughter got in bed with us at 2.30am and I never really went back to sleep properly after that, which could account for feeling worse this morning.

Last night was the 3rd day of 20mg so I am expecting some slight increase in side effects, but nothing of major proportions.

I'm naturally fearful of having to try a new med in a couple of weeks if Seroxat doesn't "kick in", but at the same time I don't want to continue feeling like this so I feel like I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. I know many people wouldn't have given Seroxat the amount of time I have with the side effects I've experienced, but I feel like I don't want to give up on it just yet because I have so many "what if's".

Sorry for long post, just gotta get it all out of my head and on here.

nicola1980
10-01-12, 14:24
Hi Hun just wondered how you were feeling? xx

lauz_lea
10-01-12, 16:23
Been feeling rubbish, worse than ever so rang the doc who said to reduce to 15mg and is starting me on 15mg of mirtazapine from tonight. Just picked them up from the chemist and am quite looking forward to the long nights sleep I should get. Also looking forward to getting my appetite back and hopefully putting on some of the weight I've lost. Got everything crossed and have made sure I read only the positive threads.

nicola1980
10-01-12, 16:27
Good luck that meds the next for me if im no better by next wed, ive heard good reports from it x x

lauz_lea
10-01-12, 17:16
Me too, a friend of mine had a run of really bad luck with a fair few SSRI's over a year ago, she was in a terrible mess, Mirt is the only med that worked for her.

lauz_lea
11-01-12, 06:40
Well, I took both 15mg of Seroxat and 15mg of Mirtazapine together at 7.20pm last night and went to bed shortly after, I was asleep by 8pm and had a really good nights sleep. Very deep sleep, funny dreams and woke up at 6am without the overwhelming feelings of anx, dread and depression that I have been waking with. I still had quite a sweaty night from the Seroxat but that's to be expected.

Overall I feel a lot calmer this morning, a little groggy and hazey but not too bad after 10hrs sleep. I actually feel positive at the moment but do feel like I could go back to sleep for a little while longer.

Fingers crossed for the rest of the day.

lauz_lea
13-03-12, 14:08
Sorry to bump one of my old threads, but I need to ask the same question again.

Mirt didn't work out well for me as after 8 weeks my depression was terrible - I was never suffering with depression prior to paroxetine or mirt.

I would love to hear if anyone has done well on paroxetine but having come off it (for whatever reason) found it didn't work and found another AD did.

I'm hoping to be med free for the next couple of weeks before seeing my GP again, and if things haven't improved I would like other alternatives to discuss with her.

My first thoughts are citalopram, sertraline or venlaxfexine but I would like to hear from anyone who has had success with them AFTER paroxetine.

Thanks all.

LAURA48
13-03-12, 14:49
Hi Lauz

Think it's a bloody lottery tbh! Venlafaxine is prescribed, I think - don't quote me by psychiastrists? Lot on here on Sertraline and Citalopram and Venlafaxine. It's hard - what suits one and not another, etc, we all want to get well don't we:hugs: