PDA

View Full Version : Beta Blockers - would they help me?

Gloominati
29-04-04, 11:18
I am having a very anxious and panicky period at the moment which doesnt seem to be getting any better. I've had a nasty bug recently which has left me weak and unable to eat much. I'm also under a lot of stress from family problems.

My current problems are nausea, shaking, very hot flushes all over (very unpleasant), sweaty hands and feet, and of course feelings of panic & inability to cope.

However my heart isn't racing that much, its a little fast but since my hypnotherapy a couple of days ago it is not that unpleasant.

I don't know much about Beta-blockers, and whether they would be able to help any of my current problems. The thing I would like to sort out the most is my body temperature as I don't seem to have much control over it.

Anyone have any advice?

Thanks all

Shirley x

Jules31
29-04-04, 11:48
Hi Shirley

I don't think beta blockers will really help you, they tend to slow your heart down and lower your blood pressure. Meg please tell me if I've got anything wrong.

I take them and have had lots of problems with my temperature over the last year or so. Sometimes I get a hot flush other times it will be a surge which makes my body burn for up to about half an hour at a time. I know how horrible and scarey it is.

Hope you feel better soon
Jules

Meg
29-04-04, 12:07
Hi Shirley,

They may help with the symptoms but not likely to have a total effect a sthey work after you've produced your adrenaline wave. Glad your hypnotherapy is working ..

It sounds like you would benefit from trying to stop or use the adrenaline surges that are causing the heat.

Vigorous exercise will use it up - dancing or running up and down stairs if you're at home and learning to meditate or deep relax will start to teach your body that these waves are not necessary.

Nausea - tonic water
shaky- valarian or passi flora

I hope you're on a good vit and mineral supplement.

Meg

'There can only be true courage when first there is genuine fear'

Dr.David Livingstone

Gloominati
29-04-04, 13:07
Ok, thanks for the info, I kind of guessed that they wouldn't be an all out cure, but I will still consider asking my doctor about them.

Unfortunately I can't do much exercise to combat the adrenaline because I have chronic fatigue syndrome and am very tired already. I find it very hard to meditate/deep relax on my own so I am going to keep trying hypnotherapy to see whether that will ease me into a pattern of learning how to relax.

I am also getting help from a nutritionalist who is trying to sort out my nutrients, vits & minerals.

Shirley x

sweetwater
30-04-04, 11:04
Hi Shirley,
Unfortunately, there isn't alot one can do in this instance for the hot flushes...it's psychologically caused, so once you get that under control, you'll find that it lessens...for the nausea, there are drugs around like Stemetil or Maxalon which work great, but I don't really think a dr. would give it to you unless it's very severe, in the case of anxiety secondary to chronic fatigue syndrome...you can buy things over the counter though to combat nausea, maybe speak to your pharmacist. Good to hear you're doing hypnotherapy, I've never tried that one, but if it helps you, good on you. Take care everyone.

HB
26-05-04, 19:07
the only thing i will say about beta blockers is that they make you feel like your hear is going really really slowly and it is quite scary- just as a warning :-) Hope you get on ok.

H

Meg
26-05-04, 19:31
You may on too much especially if you're feeling dizzy.

Your heart shouldn't be dropping too much below 55- 60bpm at rest but I guess that can feel really slow if you've been racing along for a while.

Meg

'There can only be true courage when first there is genuine fear'

Dr.David Livingstone

HB
27-05-04, 19:12
yeah thata what the doctor told me, it just felt like my heart was in my throat and that it was going so slow, i only ever took half a tablet an then stopped!!

H

razocaine_07
31-05-04, 01:26
hi....about the beta blockers - Im on Inderal and have been for 18months. My symptomns were extreme to the point of sedation. I suffered from stomach churning, nausea, rapid heartbeat, extreme anxiety etc.
If i was you, i would look for other types of medication, for the reason that you said ur heartbeat wasnt quick. Beta blockers obviously cause the heart to slow and can cause heart palpertations. They did take away the nausea and stomach churning because it slows your metabolism down. Unfortunately the common symptoms are palpertations, fatigue, nausea. Its all about weighing up the options.
About the Stemetil that was raised in this section. I wouldnt take it purely for the cure of nausea, only think about it if u suffer from dizziness aswell, which is a very common side effect to anxiety. You can email me if you like, so i can tell you in more detail.
Take care