PDA

View Full Version : Newbie with OC fears

Munchlet
06-01-12, 18:26
Hello
I'm new to this site so please forgive me if I'm not doing things properly but I just find it reassuring that so many people seem to suffer from HA, not that it's a good thing it's just nice to know we are not alone in this awful place!

Right now I have a major fear of OC, well for the last two days anyway!

I have been experiencing some symptoms such as slight spotting after intercourse and because I've previously had a couple of dodgy smears I was convinced it was cervical cancer (despite having 3 clear smears in the last 2.5 years)!. Anyway took myself off to the doctors and was somewhat reassured when she examined me and said I have small cervical ectropion and she was sure that was what was causing the problem.

My relief lasted all of a minute as I went on to tell her that over the last three months I've had a few strange periods, more cramping than usual, one being three weeks apart, then 19 days then 27 days, one really light, one really heavy etc, I had been putting this down to the fact that I'm nearly 39 and thinking it was age related.

Anyway she gave me a pelvic examination and checked back over all my smears etc and said she can't feel anything wrong and everything appears to be normal but to give me piece of mind she'd send me for an ultrasound and if I wanted a complete MOT I could have a blood test to check for OC!!!!!

Well that was it, now I appreciate she is a very thorough Dr and is actually the well woman Dr at our surgery so obviously knows her stuff but I think I would have been happy with her just saying, everything feels ok it's probably just you age and the ectropion off you go.

Now I'm sitting here thinking I have acid reflux (which I've had on and off for years ), I have ever since I can remember urinated a lot and I'm quite prone to water infections and I also suffer some months from ovulation pain, but I've now clumped all these symptoms together and am convinced I have OC.

I don't think I'm going to be able to bring myself to go for the ultrasound as I'm so scared I'm convinced that these are OC symptoms I've been having and ignoring for years and the few dodgy periods I've been having are because it's now progressed and is very advanced.

I'm going out of my mind with worry and don't know how to get this into perspective, can anyone else relate!!!:weep:

b4eve
06-01-12, 18:34
I'm sure you don't have OC but the reason OC is a nasty is because it's symptoms are so vague, people tend to have huge growths before they're spotted. If your GP has examined you and can't feel anything out of the ordinary then you don't have anything big and nasty lurking in your pelvis. The blood test is just to re-assure you. BTW, since around 39 I've been having increasingly random cycles and that does kick in for many women at around 40

Wolfie
06-01-12, 18:38
Hi there, welcome to the site!

Sorry to hear that you've been finding things difficult with regards to your health anxiety about OC!!

I have previously suffered from health anxiety for years, so I can relate to the fact that you are very anxious about this, etc.

I know that you are definately suffering from alot more health anxiety as you are being sent for more tests - BUT - rather than thinking that it is OC, you gotta think of it as, you have a pretty good doctor! A doctor who understands that you are very anxious, as would alot of other females, about OC. She's a woman herself so can relate to these fears. All she's doing is trying her best to reassure you. I have been in the position of having breast lumps - one doc said oh it's fine. I went to another doc who does regular tests, sent me for this and that at the hospital just to reassure me.

So, being sent for these extra tests doesn't mean that your doctor thinks that it is OC. She's simply doing her job, reassuring you, as well as going out of her way to get these extra tests just to make sure that you are convinced.

This is just the anxiety talking, don't let it win.

carefree68
06-01-12, 18:59
Hi and welcome munchlet :welcome: You poor thing. I agree B4eve Im sure the blood test is reassurance, and everything else you are feeling is anxiety

Go for the ultrasound, I completely understand your fears but it will hopefully put an end to the worrying.

There are some really helpful pages on here so take a look they may help

Good luck Hun and keep sharing.

Munchlet
06-01-12, 20:38
Thank you all for the warm welcome and the kind words.

I know I have to go for the Ultrasound because I'll worry either way so at least I'll know for sure.

I'm trying to tell myself that these symptoms I've started to worry about have been with me on and off for years and are relived by over the counter meds but I'm sure you know what it's like when you are caught in the HA cycle you can't reason anything out.

Anyway thanks for the replies and I'm looking forward to getting to know you all. :)

carefree68
06-01-12, 21:01
It is all a viscous cycle along with a roller-coaster of emotions, we are all able to advise and reassure others but find it so difficult to accept our own advice, typical!
However talking and sharing deff helps and I have talked to some lovely people on here who have given me some great advise.

So keep talking and sharing Hun, speak soon:hugs:

BKF1515
06-01-12, 21:21
Hi, Munchlet, your story hit me on a personal note as I am 39 too, have had erratic periods (much shorter cycle than in previous years) and have worried about OC in the past. I know it's so easy to say this, but don't worry, it will all work out! Getting the ultrasound will relieve so many of your worries and actually help you to work through worries to come. I had a lot of discomfort in my pelvic region about 2-3 years ago off and on and I went through the rounds of having blood tests, an regular ultrasound and then a vaginal ultrasound. I went back and forth between thinking I had OC, an ovarian cyst and something gynaecological to coeliac disease. In the end, they couldn't find anything and left the diagnosis at IBS. But having those tests helped because whenever little aches, pains and fears popped up, I could reassure myself that through the ultrasounds they would have seen something serious, etc., etc. Good luck, know that you are not alone, even in having experienced what you have, Take care, Texel

Munchlet
11-01-12, 18:59
Hi Texel

Sorry for the delay I have only just seen your post, just wanted to say thank you so much for your reply, I'm trying to remain positive but as you obviously know all to well, it's very easy to let the negative thoughts creep in when you are having this pelvic issues.

Anyway thanks for the kind words it means a lot.:hugs: