PDA

View Full Version : Sertraline and sodium valproate

Nicki22
06-01-12, 20:40
at the moment im on 400MG of sodium valproate at night..... the mental health doc as started me on sertraline 50MG to take on a morning is anyone else on both of these ?

im not loooking forward to side effects from the both of them ive been on sodium valproate for a few months but im not sure how i will react as soon as i start the 50MG of sertraline ive not heard much about these pills would be great if anyone could give me advice about them ... i will b starting the sertraline after the weekend as its my birthday sunday and i plan to have a few drinks as i dont think you can drink on sertraline :(

Nicki22
09-01-12, 17:57
Anyone been on both of these at same time im really scared to start the sertraline with already being on sodium valproate :(

Ambers
09-01-12, 18:42
Hi Nicki - I am in week 7 of Sertraline and found them to be relatively easy to take with slight side effects. I have never heard of Sodium Valproate so cannot advice on this. I will not drink on Sertraline - I think it does advice against drinking. If you intent to drink at the weekend why don't you leave starting Sert till Monday? Any other questions I will be happy to help if \I can.

Happy Birthday for the weekend :)

Nicki22
09-01-12, 19:19
thanks i did have a drink at the weekend but still not strated the sertraline what are the side affects like ?

Ambers
09-01-12, 21:51
The side affects for me were extreme tiredness, dizzyness, tummy ache and diarrhea for the first few weeks. My anxiety got better by day 3 - and returned again around week 4-5ish. All managable tho as previously tried Flueoxetine which was seriously bad for me. Sometimes my feelings are blunted - things I used to cry at (such as films) I don't now! This week (week 7) I have really felt the difference and feel like I can tackle life again... good luck and I hope it works well for you.

haz
09-01-12, 23:51
Are you on sodium valporate as a mood stabiliser or an anti-epiletic?

I'm sure the doctor would not have prescribed them if they were not safe to take together.

x

alfredo1
10-01-12, 09:03
The side affects for me were extreme tiredness, dizzyness, tummy ache and diarrhea for the first few weeks. My anxiety got better by day 3 - and returned again around week 4-5ish. All managable tho as previously tried Flueoxetine which was seriously bad for me. Sometimes my feelings are blunted - things I used to cry at (such as films) I don't now! This week (week 7) I have really felt the difference and feel like I can tackle life again... good luck and I hope it works well for you.

HI Ambers
have you gained weight at all on Sertraline? I've not lost weight since being o them (as some people do!). Be interested to find out.

Thanks
kerrie

Ambers
10-01-12, 13:00
Hi Kerrie - No I haven't lost weight or gained weight yet. I do need to gain weight so I won't mind too much if I did however I cannot afford to lose more. HTH :)

Nicki22
10-01-12, 22:30
im on sodium valporate as a mood stabiliser i just dont know how they both are going to react together my pdoc told me to take sertraline 50mg on a morning and carry on takeing sodium valproate 400mg on a night

is there anyhthing i have to stay clear of while on sertraline ?
i know drinking is one to stay clear of lol

---------- Post added at 22:30 ---------- Previous post was at 20:01 ----------

Another thing i forgot to check with the pdoc is sertraline ok to take with me suffering asthma i take a symbicort turbohaler ?

haz
10-01-12, 23:12
Well I take 50mg sertraline and I've got asthma, take brown and blue inhalers, so no problem there.

I really don't think you're doctor would have prescribed them both if it wasn't safe.

Sertraline is a very commonly prescribed drug. I always get my pharmichist to check any medicine I'm buying over the counter is safe to take with my other meds.

x

Nicki22
11-01-12, 21:48
what are the first side effects of starting these ?
i keep putting it off strating them with already taking sodium valproate pdoc says start them on a morning do i have to have food befor takeing them ?

Nicki22
13-01-12, 17:30
i took my first sertraline at 11.30am this morn and ive felt sick all day :( no tiredness or any other sideaffect so i wonder if thats it for the sideeffects fingers crossed lol