PDA

View Full Version : Battling heart worry again

kinnygirl1
06-01-12, 22:26
Hi everyone - not been on the forum for a few weeks cos had been making a real improvement but this eve got pains in left arm and of course am convinced it means a heart problem! Will this ever end? I have no other heart symptoms other than my ususal palpitations but worried to go to bed in case something is wrong! Why does this always happen when things were going well:wacko:

nomorepanic
06-01-12, 22:28
I get left arm pains and I have had a heart attack but I just tell myself it is muscular and too much time spent online typing!

If it was a heart attack you would know believe me.

Mindful
06-01-12, 22:32
I was told many years ago by my doctor that heart attacks happen within 15 mins of the symptoms beginning.

kinnygirl1
06-01-12, 22:39
I was told many years ago by my doctor that heart attacks happen within 15 mins of the symptoms beginning.

Wow really? I should have had mine about 9 months ago then!

Thanks Nicola - I have been typing a lot this eve and been at work today( work on a computer too) so I guess that could be it. It's hard not to worry once I get it in my head though! You know what I am like!

Mindful
06-01-12, 23:02
lol sorry it isnt funny but your comment made me giggle.

Trust me, you would not be on here typing if you were about to or in the middle of a heart attack. x

nomorepanic
06-01-12, 23:13
What I tend to do kinny is sit with my arms resting on my knees when on the laptop so I am blaming it on that for the arm ache

kinnygirl1
07-01-12, 17:59
lol sorry it isnt funny but your comment made me giggle.

Trust me, you would not be on here typing if you were about to or in the middle of a heart attack. x

Lol, I do think it helps to be able to giggle about it sometimes.

What you said about the 15 minute thing was helpful though. My main fear is really having some sort of underlying heart problem. Had lots of tests, ecg, 24 hour ecg and some blood tests so I know its unlikely but everytime I get a "sympton" alarm bells start ringing. x

Spike78
07-01-12, 20:00
Hi Kinnygirl1

I also worry endlessly about my heart. I have had numerous tests inc ECG; echocardiagram; stress ECG and CT heart scan AND still think I have something wrong with my heart. My dad died suddenly of heart failure 3 years ago which has exacerbated the problem. All my tests came back fine but I still won't believe them.

Health Anxiety is great isn't it ?!

quickman
07-01-12, 21:08
The problem is is that a)there has been so much awareness of heart conditions and how to stay fit' you, Flora...] with b)we can't see any means of 'monitoring' our heart like we could a bruise or a scratch or a pulled muscle coupled with c)the fear that it's pretty fatal.

Get a scratch? Patch it up, it won't kill. Plus you can watch it fade as the days go by. A heart twitch? We can't look inside ourselves.

I developed a near-phobia of alcohol after having drank for three nights [I am 25 and healthy] I woke up after the third with my heat playing up and struggling to breathe. Cue panic / good deal of anxiety - 5/10 mentally, but with the hangover after, of " jstn't drink, it ****s up my heart..."...and went teetotal for 6+weeks. How boring is that?!

kinnygirl1
07-01-12, 22:13
Hi Kinnygirl1

I also worry endlessly about my heart. I have had numerous tests inc ECG; echocardiagram; stress ECG and CT heart scan AND still think I have something wrong with my heart. My dad died suddenly of heart failure 3 years ago which has exacerbated the problem. All my tests came back fine but I still won't believe them.

Health Anxiety is great isn't it ?!

Hi spike - there is nothing worse is there? When I am at my most well, I think how silly I am for worrying about my heart. If there was something then surely one of the many tests I have had would have picked it up - but when it starts missing beats, hammering away for no reason, my worries creep back in and I am convinced that I will collapse at any moment. I hate the thought that there could be something underlying that no one has picked up. Know what I mean?

---------- Post added at 22:13 ---------- Previous post was at 22:09 ----------

The problem is is that a)there has been so much awareness of heart conditions and how to stay fit' you, Flora...] with b)we can't see any means of 'monitoring' our heart like we could a bruise or a scratch or a pulled muscle coupled with c)the fear that it's pretty fatal.

Get a scratch? Patch it up, it won't kill. Plus you can watch it fade as the days go by. A heart twitch? We can't look inside ourselves.

I developed a near-phobia of alcohol after having drank for three nights [I am 25 and healthy] I woke up after the third with my heat playing up and struggling to breathe. Cue panic / good deal of anxiety - 5/10 mentally, but with the hangover after, of " jstn't drink, it ****s up my heart..."...and went teetotal for 6+weeks. How boring is that?!

Not boring - just trying to make yourself not get those awful feelings - typical when you have an anxiety. It's sort of avoidance behaviour isn't it?

I think you are right about how the media really promotes the fear of serious heart problems. I am sure it does save lives but it's not much good for us health anxiety sufferers.