PDA

View Full Version : encourage

jude uk
07-01-12, 03:30
The hardest thing to believe when going through a panic attack is, you will be okay. If I said to you, tomorrow we will go on a 50 mile train journey, spend the day and come back on the train and everything will be fine, you would look at me with eyes of disbelief. Yet the truth is you could do. I make that journey twice a week now, every week. I have been on packed trains and I have been on trains that have been delayed by 35mins.

Here is the interesting point.....I am not 100% over my agoraphobia but I still get out.
I am not on a miracle medication
I am not on some internet product to make me a better person
I am not any different from you

I started with very small steps and kept working on it.
I did suffer many set-backs and many times of NO I CANT DO IT but I kept at it
There is no other way but to face that fear.
This applies to every fear on the forum.

DO YOU WANT TO GET BETTER?
WILL YOU DO ANYTHING TO GET BETTER?

We will all say yes we want to get better but we are not always willing to do anything to get better.

I know how difficult it can be. I was agoraphobic and for a year I never left my house.
I thought I was going to pass out the first time I did leave my house. My legs felt like jelly and I looked like a frightened deer. It took many months to move forward even a little bit but I managed with support.
Remember even with support we need to do the work. There will be times you may want to cancel meeting the person that is supporting you but that will always be the case for the first few times.

TO OVER COME WE MUST FACE THAT FEAR.

My mate is an alcoholic and goes to meetings 3 times a week, he has not drank for 5 years. I asked him why he still went now he no longer drinks. He said, I am still an alcoholic and I still need the support.

For me it is not about being cured but just about moving forward one step at a time.

Can I encourage you just to take that small step

Elen
07-01-12, 08:00
Brilliant post Jude, and well done you for your success.

Belief in yourself can be hard to find yet. I have been so lucky with the friends that I have made here, they never seem to stop believing in me and that tends to rub off.

Elen