PDA

View Full Version : addicted to worrying??

br19893
07-01-12, 13:31
Has anyone else found that worrying is actually addictive?
It's like my comfort zone, even when I'm in a good mood i make myself worry! I think its because when im worrying about irrational things that are never going to happen it let's me forget all the real problems and issues in my life.
The problem with that is that I never end up doing anything productive, everyone thinks I'm so lazy!

EmmerLooeez
07-01-12, 15:01
YES!!!!
Sometimes I'll go outside and feel fine.. But then my body will start with the physical symptoms of a panic attack, even though my mind is calm. My mind will then get worked up over the symptoms.
I think that I've somehow conditioned myself to panic? Even in situations where I feel comfortable, I panic just because I feel like I 'should'.

I'm sure you're not lazy :) hah xx

br19893
07-01-12, 15:32
I do that too! Sounds like you are definatley conditioned to go into "fight or flight" mode. Easier said than done breaking that habit though :/
With me its more to do with looking at stupid conspiracy theorys on the internet! In my head I know there not true but I always have to check "just incase". All that I end up doing is wasting my life worrying about what could happen, if they really are true then I should be out making the most of my life!

quickman
07-01-12, 15:36
We get used to it, 'accept it' and as a result let it run riot.

Never acept or get used to it. It's not right, it's not normal.

kaythescamp
07-01-12, 17:38
I feel exactly the same its like i worry because im not felling worried and its really annoying me thats what im trying to get over at the minute but as soon as i feel normal i start panicking coz i feel normall.i think i have had anxiety for so long its just normall now

Meewah
07-01-12, 22:42
So true. Ironically it feels like my place a place I can call my own. My own issue. Having nothing wrong with me but a medical diagnosis of anxiety makes me qualify to give excuses.

I sometimes worry that the anxiety has gone. How weird is that??

Mee

witsend
08-01-12, 23:23
So true. At least when I'm worrying I know how to deal with it, unlike the rest of life. I'd worry if i didn't have worry. It's become my life.

Halcyon
08-01-12, 23:53
Absolutely! It's got to the point that, if I'm not worrying about something, it's not happening. I can't just 'live in the moment' because it starts to feel as though I'm not conscious.

br19893
10-01-12, 10:36
Meewah I'm exactly the same! Iv never had any real problems in my life and I think when I was a child (horrible as this sounds!) I would sort of wish that something would happen so I had an excuse to feel the way I did.
I often wonder if I do really have anxiety because of how I consciously make myself worry, but then I have to remind myself that yes I do and it is a real disorder. I think when it gets to this stage I really need to go and get help but I stop myself cos the anxiety takes over making me think I don't need it!

Erin27
11-01-12, 00:30
I know I'm addicted to worrying too.... I've always been told, if I don't have anything to worry about then I'll find something to worry about.... its the way I seem to be programmed.... and its a very difficult pattern to break. I understand what you mean about it being like a comfort zone.... I find its almost hard to believe that everything's ok and there's no need to worry and this feels uncomfortable!! Thus, we make something up in our heads and yes, its usually something irrational and something that will never actually happen!

One technique I've been taught over the years is a 'thought stopping' technique - its where whenever you find yourself going along the route of worrying and letting your mind run riot with irrational thoughts.... instantly see a red stop sign in front of you in your mind's eye and say abruptly in your head "STOP!!" This breaks the cycle for a few moments. In order to keep the cycle broken and not carry on down the path of worry... I (and it sounds ridiculous!!!) picture myself doing a silly dance to a particular song... and play this scenario over in my head a few times to distract myself.... By this time I've usually moved on to do something else or i find something to else to distract me having broken the thought pattern and therefore relieved some worry and stopping the thoughts getting out of control. It doesn't last forever obviously and has to be worked at but if done often enough, it can become second nature....

.... Just don't get caught humming your song or even worse, doing your dance in public!!! :)

Hope some of that helps a little, or at least makes you smile!?

Erin x