PDA

View Full Version : Agoraphobia- how to prepare for events??

jellylegs
07-01-12, 15:00
Hey,

I was hoping to get some advice and how to prepare myself for some things...

Firstly I have had anxiety for 5 years on and off to different degrees, I really don't want to end up house bound again! I struggle to go anywhere more than a 10 min car journey away or that I can walk to. I have safe places, like my parents and work but I work very close to home! Literally a 10 minute walk max!

My boyfriend is the best man at a wedding at the end of feb, I won't really know anyone there and it's going to be about half hour car journey. I have to go, but since we found out about it all I can think about is how much Im dreading it and how I can get out of it!! Im wishing myself to get seriously ill, (even though going to the hospital terrifies me!!) just to get out of it! My boyfriend is going on the four day stag doo abroad too a the end of Jan! Nightmare for me! All I will do is worry about him!!!

Just wondered if anyone had any ideas on how to prepare myself for it all? Thinking of seeing if I could pluck up the courage to get my bf to drive me to the hotel where the wedding is just so I won't be doing it for the first time on the day of the wedding? To be honest I just really don't want to go, it's guna be an awful day for me but have to go to support the bf! My anxiety about this one day is making my daily anxiety really bad!

Oh well Ive rambled on enough! If anyone takes the time to read this and has any tips I will be very grateful!

Thank you x

vicky23
07-01-12, 15:44
well I'd suggest using this time to gradually build up your comfort zones in time for feb. So now you can get 10 mins out of the house, make a goal to walk down the road 5 mins from your parents house or work then go back. Do this repeatedly and you will find that the anxiety will be high at first but it should decrease as you continue to do it. Then when you feel ready, make another goal to go further away from your house. You can do it, it might be uncomfortable but anxiety isn't dangerous so just accept that feeling but carry on elsewhere keeping the goal of supporting your boyfriend at the front of your mind.
Best wishes

mallan82450
07-01-12, 17:16
Why don't you go and visit the venue a few times and get a feel for the place.