PDA

View Full Version : JELLY LEGS

shalou74
09-06-06, 18:10
I'm new to the boards and not sure if this has been discussed before but here goes. Does anyone else experience the feeling that their legs aren't there when walking? It sounds mad but I often get the feeling that my legs have no feeling and I don't know how I'm gonna keep going. I can clearly see my legs moving one step in front of the other but my brain doesn't seem to connect the two. I don't have any trouble walking but it frightens me that my legs feel numb. I rely heavily on my car to get around but would prefer to walk[:I]

This only happens when I'm feeling highly anxious.

Anyone experienced similiar??

jackie
09-06-06, 18:14
the numb or stange feelings in my legs are things that happen when im so anxious and claire weekes talks of it alot

your not alone

so glad you found us

jackie

shalou74
09-06-06, 18:31
Hi Jackie,

Thanks for the response.:)

I've just realised there is a section on symptoms so I guess I've posted this in the wrong section. However, there is a thread in the Symptoms section of the boards that is SO what I'm feeling so I've posted a reply in there too.

I'm glad I found this site:)

PurpleRain
09-06-06, 19:17
Hi,
Feeling numbness in legs and jelly like legs are very normal symptoms of anxiety.
I get this a lot but it was after reading a claire weekes book and having the understanding that anxiety causes it my legs have been feeling a lot stronger,accepting its all part of anxiety has helped me...claire weekes writes that jelly legs will still get you ther..and she is right.
When we panic our bodies go into that fight or flight mode and our blood diverts to our muscles,this is what causes the feeling,someone told me once that although our legs feel weaker they are actually stronger.
Hope this helps!!
Take care xx

shalou74
09-06-06, 23:04
Thanks PurpleRain,

I had cognitive therapy approximately 11 years ago and I learnt all about fight or flight. It did help but I still struggle sometimes to get over those irrational feelings. I'm glad to say it's not constant but if I think about it I can easily bring it on.

Daisybun
10-06-06, 12:01
I get this on bad days too. Infact yesterday I shook all day

Take care
Daisybun

'This too will pass'

PurpleRain
10-06-06, 19:42
Hi again shalou,
I know its hard to cope with it all sometimes,even when we understand how our bodies react to anxieties and panic (that fight or flight response) its hard to think clearly in the middle of an attack and all these irrational feelings!
I hope it gets better for you very soon!!
Take care xx