PDA

View Full Version : The importance of social context in PTSD

Butterfly15
07-01-12, 21:49
Hi Everyone,

I am a Psychology undergraduate at the University of Sussex, UK. I would be very grateful if anyone could assist my colleagues and I with our dissertation survey investigating the importance of social context in PTSD.

The survey looks at how we respond to very stressful or traumatic events and the importance of those around us during these times.

To participate you must have experienced or witnessed a very stressful or traumatic event in the last 2 years, be over the age of 18 and be fluent in English.

The survey should only take you around 30 minutes to complete. Any information you provide will be kept both anonymous and confidential and you have the right to withdraw your data at any point if you wish to do so.

You will also be entered into a prize draw to win £25. You will need to provide your email address if you wish to be entered into the prize draw.

If you are able to help us and qualify to participate please follow the link below. Thankyou!

http://www.survey.bris.ac.uk/sussex/trauma

committeddoxy
18-03-12, 22:15
I tried to complete this yesterday but found there were a huge number of assumptions made shaping the questions which meant it just became irrelevant. I feels very unfair that my experience cannot be included in the gathering of information as the survey will just perpetuate the already harmful stereotypes.
I was raped last summer. Your survey assumes I have discussed this. There was no option to say I haven't told anybody but I know my situation is completely normal for people with a background of abuse. We already know it's a waste of time to use the police, there is no Rape Crisis in my area, my family are in complete denial about my and my siblings childhood: why would I talk to someone about it? Just to be fobbed off yet again.
I have a Complex Post traumatic Stress Diagnosis and my experiences are echoed by women throughout the world. But it's quite recent that academics have even thought to mention there are women who are serially abused.