PDA

View Full Version : Sertraline & almotriptan

Lissyb
08-01-12, 11:39
Hi there :)
first time poster, but a regular visitor of the site,
looking for a bit of advice, i was prescribed Sertaline 50mg on the 5th Jan, due to excessive worrying.
Havent had too many side effects *touch wood*, appart from a little nausea, tiredness, and when i got up in the middle of the night last night to get a drink, i felt very dizzy and sicky, but that passed again as soon as i layed back down.

Today however i have a migraine, i do suffer from migraines, which the doctor prescribed me with almotriptan tablets 12.5mg about 6 months ago, which i find work great at clearing them.
The doctor said that these would be fine to take with the sertraline, however after reading through the leaflet that comes with the almotriptan, it states that taking these tablets together with the sertraline may cause serotonin syndrome. a potentially life threatning drug reaction.

i telephoned the NHS helpline, and the nurse said that there is a low risk of serotonin syndrome, but said i could take the almotriptan, and just watch out for any side effects.

But im still concerened about taking the two tablets.

i was just wondering if anybody else has taken almotriptan tablets with Sertraline before?
I know i should just take the almotriptan and be done with it, but this is where the excessive worrying tends to kick in !

Many thanks for your help :)

alfredo1
09-01-12, 09:29
Oh goodness, its a catch 22 situation isn't it.

I would go back to the docs to see if there is an alternative you can take for your headaches if you can ?