PDA

View Full Version : antibiotics - amoxicillin.

duke246810
08-01-12, 12:52
Hi everyone,

I've just taken my first aantibiotic, and im very nervous about taking tthem, after hearing alot of things that could happen with them. Has anyone else had any experiences wwith them, I think I've taken them before, but at this stage I feel like just laying down and going to sleep, and I've got large amount of chest pain, which im worried about, any feedback would be greatly appreciated. X

Alabasterlyn
08-01-12, 12:56
They are a very common antibiotic, I've taken them many times. They give them to very young children too, so I'm sure you will be fine on them :D

suzy-sue
08-01-12, 12:58
Ive taken them loads of times ...JUSTHAD A BIT of upset tum .Nothing bad tho ..They work after 3 days and you should see some improvement ,continue taking them all until the course has finished ...T/c Sue x:hugs:

blingkasa
08-01-12, 13:03
Yes, they are very common and usually just give a little bit of a yucky tummy. Perfectly fine and will make you better.

Em.ma
08-01-12, 13:05
Im allergric to penicllin so cant have that anti biotic BUT yes any anti biotic makes me want to sleep all day and curl up in a ball x
They will work. There one of the most common types of anti biotics. Hope you feel better soon x
Give them a couple of days to start working

duke246810
08-01-12, 13:09
Thanks everyone, that's helped alot :)

Im really quite worried though as just after taking my first one, I have gone very deaf, head pressured and i fefeel llike mmy cough has got worse andand my throat is closing. Probably me jujust thinking about it but still a little worrying :/ does everyone know that taking antibiotics with other medications such as ranitidine is ok?

Em.ma
08-01-12, 13:16
Anti biotics always make me feel worse before they make me feel better everytime.
Dont worry about it and carry on taking the course. I assume you told the doc you was taking another med. did he say it was ok?

duke246810
08-01-12, 13:19
Yes she said it wwas okay, but she didn't look it up or anything, im sorry everyone, its just quite scary when your told you have a chest infection whcih I stupidly rread means pneumonia :( and can escalate into something fatal, and it also said you should have your vital organs tested after using antibiotics because they can effect them. Has anyone else ever heard of this? Do doctors usually perform a blood ttest? As they only listened to my chest anand said there was a mild sound, but i read that if you use antibiotics when you don't need them you can bbecome resistent.

Em.ma
08-01-12, 13:23
Beth- you are not going to become resisant.
Stop reading into stuff- its not helping you at all.
If the doctor said it was ok- it IS ok.
Anti biotics are not going to harm you- they will make feel you better.
I'm sorry if that sounded harsh- i didnt mean it to but you dont need to panic over this.

---------- Post added at 13:23 ---------- Previous post was at 13:22 ----------

also i had a throat, sinus and ear infection will develpoed into a chest infection aswell all in one beth and i was fine.

duke246810
08-01-12, 13:38
Ok thanks emma :)

Btw I have to go and ride a horse today, do you think it will be ok to go out into the cold and do so if i wrap up warm, or do you ththink not?? I kinda of hhave to go but worried it will make my infection worsen.

Em.ma
08-01-12, 13:48
Yes it will be fine to go out today-
it wont get worse if you are on anti bitocs but when i had my infection i couldnt phyisically move. if you can be on the pc you are ok to go out

---------- Post added at 13:48 ---------- Previous post was at 13:45 ----------

if anything the fresh air will proberly help lol x

EmmerLooeez
08-01-12, 16:51
The fresh air will certainly make you feel better :) It'll be nice to have something to occupy yourself with too! I really don't think you should Google any more chick, it's really not good for you.

How have you managed today? Hope you're alright. xxx

miss_t
08-01-12, 17:41
Hiya :)

On friday I was diagnosed with reflux and a chest infection - as with you, the dr said she could hear a mild noise in my left lung and prescribed anoxycillin to nip it in the bud. She also prescribed omeprazole for the reflux. I think ranitidine and omeprazole are the same kind of drug.

If you have H.pylori, antibiotics ae prescribed in conjunction with an acid suppresant as routine, so don't worry about an interaction there.

I also have a bit of chest pain - partly due to the chest infection, so if you have the same thing I imagine your chest pain is to do with that.

As for antibiotic resistance, if you take a course of antibiotics and you are healthy (as in no infection anywhere) then you could possibly become resistant, but that doesn't sound like its the case with you. Also, if you have an infection but don't complete the course, again you could become resistant. Could being the operative word.

I have taken anoxycilin quite a few times at quie a high dosage and haven't yet had any side effects. Actimel is very good at combating stomach side effects of antibiotics, so perhaps get some and take them until your course of antibiotics are finished - that's what I do.

Good luck, feel better x

Danath
08-01-12, 17:44
amoxicillin is about as harmless as it gets.

Carys
08-01-12, 19:04
As said above, amoxicillin is a very very common anti-biotic. I would like to alert you to one thing, just so that you don't go into panic overdrive if it happens, if it is your first amoxicillin course there is a slight possibility that you could develop a rash a few days into the course. This is usually not an allergic rash, but just a side effect, however, it does need to be checked by a nurse or doc to diagnose the difference between an allergic/non-allergic rash. I know this as my daughter had her one and only course of anti-biotics last year and came up in this rash, they checked her out and told her to continue taking it and it would disappear - which it did. :D

Amoxicillin, like many anti-biotics, can give you a bit of indigestion and a jippy tummy as it kills friendly and not-so-friendly bacteria alike. You might like to eat some pro-biotic yoghurts whilst on the course and afterwards.

lins13
08-01-12, 23:47
In the past ive been on intra venous anti biotics for a bad kidney infection and i was pregnant at the time, worse case scenario with taking anti biotics is you can get thrush, which i did and was given something to get rid of that.
Im sure you will be fine riding out with a chest infection as long as you wrap up warm.
Drs have been prescribing anti biotics for years to help people with various ailments, even dentists prescribe them, they're safe.

Sparkle_
09-01-12, 01:17
Try taking probiotic drinks such as Actimel- they sometimes help. I don't like taking antibiotics either, but think of it this way: You may get a stomach upset, sure, but you're also getting better.