PDA

View Full Version : Scared of anaphalactic shock

spacebunnyx
08-01-12, 16:22
Hi everyone,

I'm really looking for advice.

I've had HA on and off for years, normally about once a year or so for a couple of weeks. Two months ago I had a seizure in response to some medication I was taking for sickness (Metaclopromide).. it was scary, and I was taken to A&E resus and pumped full of this anti-spasm drug (Procyclidine). I reacted to the procyclidine with horrendous panic attacks and extreme anxiety.. i couldn't even get off the sofa! When the dr told me to stop taking the procyclidine the anxiety and panics went away (I've never really had panic attacks before this point).

Anyway, since then, if I am tired and in a crowded place I have this god-awful fear of having an anaphalatic shock. Its worse when I know I can't get to a hospital. My throat tightens and I have a full on panic attack that I have to internalise (because i know i'm in a public place). Its awful. I feel like although my mind has mostly fixed itself following the procyclidine episode.. i still feel that there is something slightly scrambled in my brain...

why when i'm tired?
Why only when i'm in a public place?

:shrug:

xxx

daisydoo
08-01-12, 17:56
Hi. Where were you when you had the first reaction? It maybe if it was a public place that when you are in that situation again you get a trigger of the memory causing a panic attack. If that makes sense! If it its very normal and understandable. You had a very scary experience x

spacebunnyx
09-01-12, 17:58
Thanks Daisydoo,

Yes, it was in a cinema, so maybe it is because its a similar place. I seem to have the panics when i'm quite tired as well.. does anyone else have that?

xxx

daisydoo
09-01-12, 20:14
Yes i do definitely. Have a toddler who doesnt sleep and after a bad nigjt i am on the edge of a panic all day. It must have been very scary for you especially in a cinema! So dont be to hard on yourself. Anyone even thode without anxiety would find it hard. Just think you wont take those meds again so it wont happen again. Ask your gp regarding cbt it can help you overcome a trigger. My trigger for a true panic us the hospital were my daughter was born as it was a traumatic birth. A bit of a pain as i am a nurse but fortunately not in maternity!!! But am constantly anxious about my health it wears me out x