PDA

View Full Version : just found out i have a nut allergy

swgrl09
08-01-12, 16:35
I had allergy testing done to find out if my cat was making me sick (she is :weep: ) and also found out in the process that I'm allergic to cashews and pistachios ... now I never have had an issue, pretty sure I've eaten them before and had no problems. The doc said just carry benedryl just in case, no need for an epi-pen, but now I'm terrified I may go into shock or something from these nuts that I had no clue I was allergic to! Or that I may become allergic to something else that I eat more regularly!

Anybody have similar fears?

crystal17
08-01-12, 17:48
Well if you've not had problems in the past then just don't eat those nuts but dont worry about it either, maybe you're not severely allergic.

I would get an epi-pen though just as a precaution.

And thats a shame about your cat! :ohmy: Can you take medication for that, I'm sure it is available.

swgrl09
08-01-12, 19:04
I am going to try to take medications and am using an air purifier, because I just cannot give her up! If those don't work, I may try allergy injections ... but they take a lot of time that I don't have, you have to start off going like 3x a week and slowly decrease ...

It's just freaky, you know? I mean luckily I don't really like cashews and pistachios anyway, but now I feel like I am going to get obsessive about it.

---------- Post added at 14:04 ---------- Previous post was at 14:01 ----------

also I am going out to an indian restaurant tonight, do they use those nuts in their foods a lot by any chance?

crystal17
08-01-12, 21:44
Depends what you have, but yeah they do use them in certain dishes so ask first - say you have an allergy and they will be understanding. Lots of people in my family have food allergies and are always asking in restuarants.

Try not to worry, its just good that you know now.